lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2014, 05:25 AM   #21
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Warn 24v RT30 to Beast48 Wiring Help Needed

I see the negative wire now, on the lower right-hand battery. I missed it at first.

I'm thoroughly confused now. I'll look at it again after my coffee kicks in.

Let's call the lower left-hand battery B1, just for this purpose. The one above it is B2, the one above that is B3, to the right of B3 is B4, the one below that is B5, and the one below B5 and next to B1 is B6. Basically clockwise from pack minus to pack positive.

Using B1 as pack negative, you will get 8 volts at B1 positive AND B2 negative (because they are connected together with a cable). B2 positive and B3 negative will give you 16 volts. B3 positive and B4 negative will give you 24 volts. B4 positive and B5 negative will give you 32 volts. B5 positive and B6 negative will give you 40 volts. B6 positive will give you 48 volts.

B1 and B6 are installed with the posts down in the picture - negative posts are on the right sides of the batteries and positive posts are on the left. B2 - B5 are installed with the posts up in the picture, so negative posts are reversed - negative posts are on the left and positive posts are on the right.

It appears that the winch gets negative from B6 negative, which is B5 positive. It gets its positive from B2 positive, which is B3 negative.

Here's where I'm confused. B6 contributes nothing, as it's basically bypassed. Winch negative is connected to B6 negative, which is B5 positive and winch positive is connected to B2 positive, which is the same as B3 negative. Using B5, B4 and B3, I see how 24 volts is there, but it appears the red is really negative and black is really positive. Does the winch motor turn the correct way on the remote control, or is it running in reverse?

EDIT: I corrected some typos to the above post. I think it's correct now.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #22
bigbig
Not Yet Wild

Ah, I see what you're saying. Yes, there is a blue and yellow cable coming from the winch. That blue and yellow cable connects to the winch's contactor. The he blue wire coming from the winch connects to the yellow post on the contactor and the yellow wire coming from the winch connects to the blue post on the contactor. This is how Warn tells them to connect it.
bigbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:13 AM   #23
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I don't see blue and yellow. I just assumed the thicker red and black were your winch. As long as it works, it shouldn't matter even if it's hooked up backwards. It would just change the direction the motor turns when you press the up and down on the remotes. It's possible the winch is wired correctly, depending on which winch wires are connected to which battery wires.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #24
bigbig
Not Yet Wild

You can't see the contactor in the pic. The motor turns the correct direction.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #25
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Old 07-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #26
bigbig
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your help and all of your replies. Have a great 4th of July weekend!
Old 07-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #27
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

To answer your earlier question about why 24 volts, I did a quick search and could only find 12 volt and 24 volt winches. For golf carts that could either have 6 volt, 8 volt, or 12 volt batteries, 24 volts is the least common denominator. 24 volts also will only pull half as many amps as 12 volts would.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO