lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
BillBullDog
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Sepex or Series Rookie question

My wife wants a Golf Cart to use to track me down in the north forty;)

She likes the looks of the EZGO carts.

We were told by an "expert" to avoid the ones with the control mounted under the seat as opposed to the switch on the dash. I saw the write up stickey on here so I get the difference. My question is:

Is one actually better or worse, performance or reliability??

Thanks in advance
HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BillBullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Sepex or Series Rookie question

actually.....it truly depends on the terrain you will use in on.....

but the Series drive is considered the "work horse" of the cart world. I wouldn't say they are sturdier and take a little more abuse before they crater on you. lol
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

EZGO carts with Series motors and EZGO carts with Sepex motors have both been made into "Hunting" carts.

However, both are designed to carry two golfers and their clubs over groomed cart trails for 18 holes, so the drive system needs to be upgraded to do much more than that.

When built right, both are reliable.
As for performance, it depends on how performance is defined.

Personally, I prefer the Sepex drive system.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

Why do you prefer sepex?
I am in a similar crossroads. I have a hunting cart with a sepex system. 48 volt, 1244 400 amp curtis. First motor was an advanced motor, it would get extremely hot and you could smell the insulation burning. I sent a motor to plum quick got the bandit rebuild and after the first trip you could see smoke coming out of the motor. We were working it pretty hard but not terribly bad. I was thinking about converting to a series alltrax 500 and D&D motor. Eric at D&D recommended staying with the sepex and getting their top motor. I am already in the hole for the Plumquick motor that didn't cut it. What should I do? Convert to series or keep it Sepex. This is a very heavy hunting cart and is driven in some hilly terrain.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Why do you prefer sepex?
I am in a similar crossroads. I have a hunting cart with a sepex system. 48 volt, 1244 400 amp curtis. First motor was an advanced motor, it would get extremely hot and you could smell the insulation burning. I sent a motor to plum quick got the bandit rebuild and after the first trip you could see smoke coming out of the motor. We were working it pretty hard but not terribly bad. I was thinking about converting to a series alltrax 500 and D&D motor. Eric at D&D recommended staying with the sepex and getting their top motor. I am already in the hole for the Plumquick motor that didn't cut it. What should I do? Convert to series or keep it Sepex. This is a very heavy hunting cart and is driven in some hilly terrain.
I prefer sepex because the torque/speed curve of a series motor is cast in stone when the motor is wound at the factory while the torque/speed curve of a sepex motor can be altered during operation to get low end torque and high speed from the same motor.

The difference between a "Torque" motor and a "Speed" motor is the relative strength of the magnetic fields generated by the Armature and Stator (aka Field) windings. Since the same current that flows through the armature also flows through the stator in a series wound motor, the relative magnetic strength is determined by the relative number of turn of wire in the armature and stator windings. However, current from different sources flow through the armature and field (stator) windings in a sepex motor (sepex means SEParately EXcited), so the reletive magnetic strength can be altered by altering the relative amount of current flow in either the field or armature. The current flow through the field winds is the one altered in golf cart sepex motors and the process is called "Field Mapping".

Like series motors, sepex motors can also be wound for low end torque or high RPM, but through field mapping, with the same voltage applied, a sepex motor wound for torque will reach higher RPM than a series motor wound for torque and conversely, with the same voltage applied a sepex motor wound for speed will have better low end torque characteristics than a series motor wound for speed.

I suspect you have tall tires for ground clearance in addition to having a heavy cart, so you need a motor with high low end torque. (Torque motor)

A sepex torque motor would probably run a bit warmer than a series torque motor at low (walking) speed, but will propel the cart faster to and from the woods.

I drive my cart on city streets, paved/gravel/dirt roads/trails/paths, and across open fields, all with fairly steep hills, but I don't actually do any off-roading, so ground clearance isn't an issue for me, and I run stock height tires and a speed wound sepex motor.

My motor does get hot when I climb hills at low speeds, but to the best of my knowledge, I've never exceeded the 239°F case temperature max. (I have a thermocouple attached to my motor case, but I don't monitor the case temperature all the time.)

BTW, the D&D motor I use is several inches longer and several pounds heavier than a stock (or rebuilt) PDS motor, so it delivers more torque with less heat generated. (More efficient).
Old 07-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

Thanks for the info....I think!
Don't quite understand the technical stuff but the other info is great.
Here is the motor they recommended;
ES-132-68
48 volt
8.0 hp
16.5 hp peak
Old 07-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for the info....I think!
Don't quite understand the technical stuff but the other info is great.
Here is the motor they recommended;
ES-132-68
48 volt
8.0 hp
16.5 hp peak
I'm fairly certain that is a very high torque motor, so it ought to do the job.

Horsepower doesn't mean much without the torque (ft/lb) or RPM value associated with it.
HP = Torque times RPM divided by 5250, so there are two points on the Torque/RPM curve that motor will develop 8HP.

My motor's peak HP is 11.8 at 1,450RPM, so you will have a lot more low end torque than I do.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #8
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

Wonder what my speed will be like compared to the bandit motor I have I. There now? I'm not looking to be fast but would hope to keep it about where it is at now around 19-21 mph.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Wonder what my speed will be like compared to the bandit motor I have I. There now? I'm not looking to be fast but would hope to keep it about where it is at now around 19-21 mph.
Looks like we're hijacking BillBullDog's thread, but what is being discussed may be useful to him as well.

I'm speculating, but my guess is the ES-132-68 will speed your cart up a bit, or at least the top speed will stay about the same.

The best bet would be call D&D and ask. They can probably tell you the expected speed range if you tell them the voltage and tire height.

FWIW: The PQ Bandit is stuffed into a stock PDS motor case, while the ES-132-68 is probably in a motor case that is about 2" longer and more copper wires can be packed in the longer case to make more powerful electromagnets, shifting the entire torque curve higher. Again, I am speculating since I don't know the length of the ES-132-68 case, but the case length of my ES-76-51 is 9.74" (speed sensor not included) and I suspect D&D uses a case of at least that length for a high-torque sepex motor.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

The length of this D&D motor is 11.53.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO