lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #11
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: New problem 96 club car gas

This is where the "Jury Rig" wiring comes into play... It's not a stock key switch, or solenoid!
And it's okay that you have an FE350 without an ACR... it was originally a pedal start cart anyway!
(ACR's were strictly for factory installed key start carts!)

Stock key switch wiring... pedal start:

Key Switch wiring.jpg

Stock key switch wiring... key start:

Keysstartexploded.jpg

Stock solenoid/Electrical Components Box:

085.JPG

Those 2 things, for sure, (that I can see) don't match up to anything stock,
So it makes it incredibly difficult to troubleshoot via the internet!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #12
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

so my key start switch appears to still be wired for a key start, but is being used for a pedal start

IMG_0676.JPG
ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:02 PM   #13
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Just because it is difficult doesn't me you shouldn't throw in your two cents. This is the entire reason I am removing everything not Germaine to making the cart run. And then as near as I can tell in order to make this a pedal start my guy apparently disconnected what he didn't need and let lay added what he needed and yet I still have a short somewhere that's enough to blow two coils, two micro switches a multitude of fuses yesterday potentially another coil yesterday or maybe a voltage reg there is one wire shown in the group pics that's yellow coming off the regulator that has no home but belongs somewhere. No I have given this guy enough of a chance to fix this and it still don't work right, I have 31 different colored spools of 14 gauge primary stranded wire, 1000's of high quality connectors and a few soldering irons and I am OCD So I am sure this will look better the next time you see it. It looks so very basic to me but with so many different things running in a series interconnected that it just begs for a short, plus I am pretty sure the female connectors are to big for the males on the micro switches and all those wires are new and done by this club car purest, and after 3 crippling incidents of electrical issue I trust nothing. Incidentally how do I figure out if my fe 350's coil has a built in ignitor or it has an external ignitor. Everything I read says it could go either way and I texted him since he put in two coils what it was and he couldn't tell me which I think is weird since he bought two
Old 11-13-2015, 05:56 PM   #14
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Ya know? all I can tell you is... that key switch is WRONG! and the wiring is a mess!
(yup... when it comes to gas Club Cars, I have OCD also!)

If you want a wiring diagram for your cart (Pedal start, OR... Key start) I'll be happy to post them!
BUT... I have a suggestion... Find a new Club Car tech!

Old 11-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #15
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
Ya know? all I can tell you is... that key switch is WRONG! and the wiring is a mess!
(yup... when it comes to gas Club Cars, I have OCD also!)

If you want a wiring diagram for your cart (Pedal start, OR... Key start) I'll be happy to post them!
BUT... I have a suggestion... Find a new Club Car tech!

Well yes I would like both the pedal start. I will use first because I bought the parts and I need to know where I am starting from but I would also like the gas for the future and any advice you might have on both. New tech no I learned my lesson and I am never going to pay the other shop $85. an hour but someone here in Naples does because they told me they were a month and a half out, I asked lol. Thank you lockman

Incidentally how do I figure out if my fe 350's coil has a built in ignitor or it has an external ignitor
Old 11-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #16
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

IF... your FE350 has a clockwise rotation... it should have the ignitor built in to the coil! (96 is a weird year)
(92 to 96 counter-clockwise rotation had an external ignitor!)

Give me a day... I'll get the wiring diagrams for you! (most likely sometime mid-morning tomorrow!)

Old 11-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #17
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Good to know about the ignitor now will I be able to tell this by looking at the coil like 2 wires instead of 1 isn't an separate external ignitor mounted somewhere on the front of the engine? Right this second I have no idea what year this motor is remember its not original to this 96 club car, it does rotate clock wise. I could use all the info I can get
Old 11-13-2015, 08:35 PM   #18
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

A little info on pre-96, and post-96 Club Cars...
Mid 1996... Club Car changed their counter-clockwise transmission/differential transaxle to a "unitized" clockwise transaxle!
Sadly... there were a few other subtle changes during that time also!

With that... AND... your "Jury Rigged" wiring, I can only wish the best for you!

I'll post wiring diagrams tomorrow!
Old 11-13-2015, 10:25 PM   #19
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
A little info on pre-96, and post-96 Club Cars...
Mid 1996... Club Car changed their counter-clockwise transmission/differential transaxle to a "unitized" clockwise transaxle!
Sadly... there were a few other subtle changes during that time also!

With that... AND... your "Jury Rigged" wiring, I can only wish the best for you!

I'll post wiring diagrams tomorrow!
yes I know the motor I replaced 290 was counter clock wise and the motor that's in it now is clockwise and yes reverse is now forward is now reverse I am not a complete idiot but I also know there is a mini club car grave yard 97.8 miles a way where eventually I think I can get the rear that should be with this engine.

You are not really wishing me the best and you really don't want to help me yeah we know the wiring is jury rigged no matter how many times you say it but it wont be for much longer and in spite of your sideway comments the job will get done, I am actually looking forward to it so keep your diagrams and advice and I will make my way through it after all it aint rocket science its a golf cart not a ported and polished Impala or Chevelle or Apache I think I can handle it

golf cart junkyard englewood.jpg

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG
Old 11-14-2015, 09:51 AM   #20
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Look... I didn't mean to be condescending!
I'm here, your there, and it's impossible for me to trace the patched wires to help you figure out where they're supposed to go!
And if you really look at it... nobody else has chimed in to help, except me!
(I'm doing it because I just hate to see a disabled cart! )

Attached are pdf's of a 95/96 DS Service Manual, and a 95 Illustrated Parts List

Page 12-3 of the service manual, and Page 5-2 of the IPL has your wiring diagrams!

Last edited by lockman1; 11-14-2015 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: pdf's removed due to that my help is not welcomed!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car