lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
BUBBASCART
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Best place to buy new starter generator

I was wondering where the best place to buy a new starter generator for a club car would be? I want a quality one. Also are the threads left handed or regular on the shaft to get pulley off?

Thanks
BUBBASCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2016, 01:28 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Best place to buy new starter generator

Why do you need a new one? Most of the time the brushes are worn out and they're $40 a set and easy to replace.
If its not charging check the voltage regulator. Those fail more often than the starter.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
BUBBASCART
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

the brushes were all broken and messed up the armatron or whatever the piece is that it spins on and you need to sand while replacein the brushes. im actually in nc 27549 now
Old 09-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #4
cruisinkruty
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have bought several off of Ebay for 112 dollars with free shipping. I used them on my fleet of maintenance carts the grunts use. They last quite well.After 2 seasons I usually have to replace the brushes....after about 3 brush replacements the armatures are really well worn and the bearings are loose so I **** can them. Then I buy another new one. I have NO complaints about the starter generators I have bought off of Ebay.
cruisinkruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #5
Ewelder76
Not Yet Wild

It sounds like other people have had better luck with aftermarket starter/generators than I've had. On the two Turf 2's that I maintain, I'm on the third cheaper aftermarket unit in the past two years on one of the carts. All three came from three different sources as I was trying to find one that was reliable. The cheaper units basically suffered armature failures way before the brushes got even 50% worn. I've also noticed that the cheaper units make a whining sound during operation (the OEM units I've used don't exhibit that sound at all).

The second Turf II has an OEM starter/generator and that cart gets used more than the one with the aftermarket units. It hasn't had the first bit of trouble in the four years that we've had the cart.

As much as I hate to do it, I'll likely have to start saving up to buy the ridiculously expensive OEM units just to keep from having to replace these units each year.
Ewelder76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #6
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

DB electrical look them up. they warrant them for a year, I restore classic cars and use their stuff all the time and they just happen to make the club car starter/generator
ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #7
BUBBASCART
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

found a place called gboost that sell 40 amp ones. 1 year warranty and lots of good feedback. ill let ya know how it works out
Old 09-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #8
general01
Gone Wild
Club Car

I got one on Amazon for my cc ds and it locked up one day and almost threw me over the steering wheel (it would have had I not been wearing my seat belt that day)
36mph to 0 in a heartbeat on a down hill slope in no fun at all when you have a reven on one side and a ditch on the other
The armature flew apart inside and trashed the whole thing(luckily it didn't take my battery or other electrical stuff with it)
I sent it back and got a refund as it was under warranty (now I am going to install new brushes in my old one since it's STILL working and is the one that was on the cart when I got it)
This was after I had to get my dad to tow me home with my side by side(not fun on a gravel road and your being towed)

Just keep this in mind YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!.
general01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #9
Chris15005
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBASCART View Post
I was wondering where the best place to buy a new starter generator for a club car would be? I want a quality one. Also are the threads left handed or regular on the shaft to get pulley off?

Thanks
My 2 cents find a good alternator/generator/starter repair shop in your area and get it rebuilt.
Chris15005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:53 PM   #10
general01
Gone Wild
Club Car

^ I second this.
general01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car