lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #1
Shmiller
Not Yet Wild

Default FE350 starter/generator charging system

Hello all,

I've turned to your forum for advice/insight on a project. I am re-powering an old sears tractor using the Kawasaki fe350 engine common to club car golf carts. It was a pull start engine and I have fitted a starter/generator to it for making it a key start.

I have the system starting the engine fine, but I'm stuck on charging the battery. From looking at wiring diagrams online, it seems as if the battery is charged "through" the solenoid, which means the solenoid would have to be engaged (read: closed) all the time while the engine is running.

My question is, is this accurate? I'm no mechanic, nor is this a golf cart, but hopefully ya'll can appreciate my project and assist me.
Shmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2017, 09:21 PM   #2
DannyAbear
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: FE350 starter/generator charging system

There is a diode across the solinoid for it to charge
DannyAbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Get a solenoid for a golf cart. The are made to stay engaged, others will burn up pretty quick.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Yep, the solenoid stays closed while the engine is running.
Second using a golf cart solenoid. The golf cart solenoids are designed to stay closed, whereas a normal car/truck starter solenoid is not.

If you poke around here enough there are wire diagrams that should help with getting power to the solenoid. The factory setups use some micro-switches and relays as safety features but you can likely do without most of that.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #5
Shmiller
Not Yet Wild

Ok, great info. Thanks.

I've got the battery charging with the tractor's old solenoid, but I was worried about the durability of that. Guess I'll be getting a new solenoid as well.
Shmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #6
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Yes look for a "continuous duty solenoid" Amazon worked for me.

If you are looking to make a key start you need one with a single small terminal that gets a single power wire(call it a blue wire) from the key switch in other words when you turn the key on power travels to the solenoid all the time keeping it closed and allowing power to the starter/gen initially allowing the motor to start then as soon as you accelerate the starter/gen begins producing power through the VR at around 14v back across the solenoid to the battery allowing the battery to charge. Be aware that at idle anything requiring powers lights and such is running off the battery but just the tiniest bit of throttle and your charging and running accessories
ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #7
DannyAbear
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Yep, the solenoid stays closed while the engine is running.
Second using a golf cart solenoid. The golf cart solenoids are designed to stay closed, whereas a normal car/truck starter solenoid is not.

If you poke around here enough there are wire diagrams that should help with getting power to the solenoid. The factory setups use some micro-switches and relays as safety features but you can likely do without most of that.
If this is true, what is the purpose of the diode across the solinoid?
DannyAbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyAbear View Post
If this is true, what is the purpose of the diode across the solinoid?
If yours has a diode, it's most likely for voltage spike suppression when the solenoid opens. When the magnetic field of the solenoid collapses the voltage will build until it can either arc to a ground or to another component. A diode would direct that voltage back to the battery where it is easily absorbed rather than to the Starter/gen or possibly voltage regulator, or other electronic component that cold be damaged by high voltage.

I don't think any of my carts have a diode on the solenoid, but they're all older carts.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fe350, generator, solenoid, starter
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car