lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #11
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: 48v on 36v Series Cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallachera89 View Post
i wish i understood this diagram more (mainly because im a putz).. id love to do this on mine
the diagram is the wiring of your golf with a extra solenoid added and where and how to run the extra wiring (in color).
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #12
Gallachera89
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
the diagram is the wiring of your golf with a extra solenoid added and where and how to run the extra wiring (in color).
you know i looked at it briefly earlier.. and just realized that i have a controller on mine and not the resistor type

so it dosnt apply lol my bad
Gallachera89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:15 AM   #13
Lochlin
Gone Wild

For the record, I have 3 vintage carts that I go more voltage with: a 50s era 24v Worthington that I run on 36v as it was simply too slow. It would do 8-9 mph on a flat but only 2-3 mph on even a slight slope. It runs fine on 36v and has been that way for a couple of years with no problem. I also run a 60s era 36v Cushman on 48v for similar reasons (those steel carts are very heavy even w/o batteries). That one has been that way for about 5 years no problem. Lastly, I have a 91 EZGo shuttle that I converted from 36v to 48v with a Scotty kit. I left the motor 36v though. All run great (knocking on wood).

Really, I have very little concern with the resistors. Worse case scenario is that, should one melt down, I would just grab a beefier one and replace it. They are still widely available and not overly expensive. That said, I initially had some concerns with the motors not being able to handle the extra load. When I first increased the V on each cart I took care to constantly check motor state via heat and smell. They have been fine, though. Again knocking on wood.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #14
DJDraco
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Good to know. I’m nearing the point of needing new batteries, 3 read 4.xV 12 hours after charge, and may just go for the 6x8 setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:26 PM   #15
toxicwaste29
Gone Wild
Club Car

Reviving this thread. I have a 85 DS with the 5 solenoids. When converting to 48v do I have to change all 5 solenoids to 48v solenoids or can they stay as 36v solenoids?
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #16
winsa12
Not Yet Wild

I have (6) 8V batteries coming in at the end of the week and I am going to do this modification to my 1989 CC DS. I have a few questions though, if you guys could help.
1. I assume I should put in a 48V Solenoid, but which one? I assume a 48V 4 terminal Universal, but I figured I should ask before dropping $70. I can fab a bracket to make anything fit.
2. Should I switch out my existing 36V solenoid for a 48V version?
3. What's the conventional wisdom on wire size? Do I need to upsize going from 36 to 48?

My goal is to make a solid cart on a low budget. I already built my own Z Bar lift, steering extension and rear axle flip. Getting it rolling under its own power is the next step.
winsa12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36v, 48v, batteries, battery, series
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car