lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2020, 10:38 AM   #1
Greg23
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Navitas Install and Battery Question

Hey all I’ve noticed my cart now falls below the threshold where the ERIC charger won’t charge the batteries after the navitas controller install. I don’t usually leave the charger plugged in. Just plug it in every few days. I always leave my cart in tow when not in use. Has anyone noticed their batteries losing strength a lot faster? 2nd time now I’ve had to use a car charger to charge for a few minutes until the Eric charger picks up. I have brand new Trojan t875 batteries too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Navitas Install and Battery Question

How old is the pack? Water levels good?
You probably have a battery (or several) that is on the weak side and the voltage is dropping much lower than the rest. With the new controller you're pulling more amps from the pack, and the batteries will be discharging much faster due to the increased draw. Any weak battery(s) will be discharged much faster than the others.
When making power upgrades, the battery pack has to be in perfect shape and VERY well maintained, otherwise the fun will be cut very short.

The thing to do here is check each battery individually with a voltmeter 12 hours after charging. Then take the cart for a drive about 10-15 minutes, then check the voltage of each battery again While the cart is driving. Make note of how much the voltage drops when the pack is under load, such as when going up a slight hill.

Ideally you don't want any getting below about 7.5v under load.

Write down your voltages fro each battery before the drive, during the drive, and then about 30 minutes after parking the cart (don't plug it in to charge).

Post your numbers here and we can help determine if the pack is bad, or if you might just need to change your driving habits.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
Greg23
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the info. The battery pack is brand new less than 4 months old. Water levels are good the last time I checked but once the pack is full charge I’ll check again. I will also check with a volt meter throughout the rides and write down my results. Thanks

Old 01-29-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Exactly What batteries do you have now? Brand name and type?
Did you update the charge algorithm in the ERIC charger to match the new batteries?

It takes about 10-15 charge cycles for new batteries to reach their full capacity, but those batteries should be pretty well broken in by now. The problem is if you are running them too low, you WILL damage the plates and that drastically shortens the life of the battery. If you don't have a digital volt gauge installed in the dash you really should get one. Running the pack below 50% state of charge reduces its service life by more than half. So rather than getting 5-6 years of use out of the pack, you'll only get 2 or 3 years and it will be totally dead. This is also dependent on exactly which batteries you have, as not all are created equal.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:16 PM   #5
Greg23
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I have Trojan T-875. I haven’t done anything with the ERIC charger. When I got my 14 Precedent it had original pd batteries in them and I swapped them out for the Trojans now. I’m not sure how to get an algorithm?

Old 01-30-2020, 08:39 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

There's direction in this thread.
You want to use Algorithm #3. People used #1 in the thread and later discovered it was not the correct one for the Club Car version charger.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-watering.html

I now see that you posted the new batteries in the first post. Missed that somehow, Sorry.
Definitely check the voltage of each battery and compare them. It's not super common but it is possible to get a bad battery brand new.
But as I said I'm also a little concerned you may be discharging them too far, and that leads to permanent damage to the battery. Lead acid batteries don't ever recover from being run completely dead.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:24 PM   #7
Greg23
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Ok will do. I’ll try to download the info from the charger to the thumb drive tomorrow. I already downloaded the simple software to my laptop. Hopefully I can get algorithm 3 back on the charger when all said and done

Old 01-31-2020, 12:51 PM   #8
Greg23
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Ok so I got a thumb drive and downloaded the info from my charger and onto the idat software. My logs show algorithm 256. So I downloaded 3 for my Trojan t875 batteries and I can’t get the algorithm to go into the charger. It shows it’s on the thumb drive as a zip file and a regular one separate from the charger folder where my original data logs are?? Now it shows error message when I plug it back into my laptop and still showing original algorithm 256. So confusing

Old 01-31-2020, 01:00 PM   #9
Greg23
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Old 01-31-2020, 01:28 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You need to totally erase whats on the USB drive. It has to be totally empty.
Unzip the Algorithm file first, and then load the unzipped version onto the USB drive. That has to be the only thing on the drive, if there is anything else on the drive the charger won't accept the upload.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car