lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
Raider97
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2014 CC Precedent upgrades with Allied Li Batteries?

All,

Newbie here. I have a 2014 Club Car Precedent i2, converted to 4 seater (rear-facing) that is lifted. I am acquiring the Allied 80Ah lithium battery system. Cart still has a stock motor and controller. It has 22' wheels already and does about 25 mph. I'm trying to decide on a whether to upgrade just a motor and/or controller but also have a question about amps from battery and the controller.

Which upgrade should I prioritize, the motor or controller and cables for more torque? Which motor (D&D, Plum Rhino, Admiral, FSIP). If I understand, the priority is the controller as the motor upgrades will require a larger Amp controller.

The Alltrax Sepex controllers are rated at 300, 400, and 500 amp but solenoids are 180-400 amp so I'm not understanding controller sizing when the batteries are limited to 400 amp max discharge. Why get the 500 amp controller when the solenoid is at 400 amp?

Any help explaining and/or provide upgrade suggestions is appreciated.
Raider97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2020, 04:11 PM   #2
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2014 CC Precedent upgrades with Allied Li Batteries?

I might can help here...I have the same cart except mine is 2012.

I have the Plum Quick Bandit, 2 gauge wires, 80 ah Allied Batteries, an HD solenoid but a STOCK controller.

I can do 30mph with no problems. I likely didn't need the HD solenoid but I was troubleshooting an issue that turned out to be the MCOR.
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:32 PM   #3
Raider97
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlPack View Post
I might can help here...I have the same cart except mine is 2012.

I have the Plum Quick Bandit, 2 gauge wires, 80 ah Allied Batteries, an HD solenoid but a STOCK controller.

I can do 30mph with no problems. I likely didn't need the HD solenoid but I was troubleshooting an issue that turned out to be the MCOR.
PearlPack - Thanks. Where did you order cables (pre-made kit?) and solenoid from? What size are the Allied battery terminals?
Old 08-03-2020, 06:44 PM   #4
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

I ordered them all from site sponsors. There are several here

Couldn't say on the terminal size....but everything fit.
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:50 AM   #5
dubzga
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Raider, I've got the AllTrax 400 with factory motor and 60AH lithiums in a 4 seater 07 Precedent with 6" A Arm and 23" tires. I'm getting about 25mph on flat ground but the acceleration is awesome.

I got 2 gauge cables from golfcartcables.com, shipped immediately and were able to customize lugs, colors etc.

I think the Allied battery terminals are the same standard size as Trojans etc.

As far as the solenoid, AllTrax recommended a 200A and it is fine. Not sure how that fits into the science of it all but it has been rock solid.
dubzga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:10 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Contactor ratings are for "continuos" current, for example the Albright SW200 will run 250Amps all day or 800Amps for 2 minutes according to its spec sheet.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #7
Raider97
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubzga View Post
Raider, I've got the AllTrax 400 with factory motor and 60AH lithiums in a 4 seater 07 Precedent with 6" A Arm and 23" tires. I'm getting about 25mph on flat ground but the acceleration is awesome.

I got 2 gauge cables from golfcartcables.com, shipped immediately and were able to customize lugs, colors etc.

I think the Allied battery terminals are the same standard size as Trojans etc.

As far as the solenoid, AllTrax recommended a 200A and it is fine. Not sure how that fits into the science of it all but it has been rock solid.
Thanks! I went with the Alltrax 500, 2 ga cables, and a 400 amp solenoid. I'll try Sergio's advise (another post) of limiting to 300 amps with the Lithium batteries first and monitor. I'll oversize for the future...

Tags
controller, etc., motor, upgrades
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car