lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2020, 05:56 PM   #1
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Looking for Build Advice

A little over a year ago I bought my first golf cart. A 98' DS that was a total basket case. I thought I would be working on that cart before now but fate intervened and I fell into some deals on ex-maintenance carts from local apartments. All these carts were pretty rough but not as bad as the DS. I ended up re-doing 3 Yamaha G-22's and an EZ GO TXT. Glad I worked on them first as I learned a great deal. Lot of time spent troubleshooting (with much help from folks here) these carts. Sold three of them and am keeping the EzGo. Now I have turned my attention back to my DS. It is a total POS but I have recently scored a brand new frame for it. I have tested the motor and it seems to work fine when I put 12v to it. I also picked up some nice used wheels this summer that are 12" with 22" tires. I plan to replace the tires but will most likely stay with the 22" tall tires. This will require a lift. I was thinking a 6" lift? I am just assuming that all the electrics are shot and am not interested in trying to salvage them. With a clean slate (new frame) to work with, I was thinking about one of the solid state conversion kits like Scotty B sells. I have looked at his site and read his installation thread and all this is within my skill ability. At least I believe it is. I am looking for comments and or suggestions about my plan so far. Also curious if there are other conversion kits out there that you guys have used or recommend. The batteries that came with the cart are DOA, core trade in only. I also do not have a charger and will be looking for suggestions for that as well. This cart will be mostly road use. No real off road just some gravel or occasional grass. Not looking to be the fastest but would like more
than stock speed. I don't mind spending some money on this project as it will be basically brand new when I finish and I can say I did it myself. At this point, I am into the cart and new frame for $350. Here are a couple shots of the other carts I finished. The first one shows a before and after Yamaha cart to give and idea of the condition I got them in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yamaha 33.jpg (755.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg after 1.jpg (998.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg blue 3.jpg (783.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg red 4.jpg (722.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201024_141721_resized[6559].jpg (1.26 MB, 0 views)
jamoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2020, 07:44 AM   #2
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Looking for Build Advice

Those look great! Scottys conversion are pretty easy, if you can follow directions, and have at least a little electrical knowledge.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:36 PM   #3
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Before you do anything, figure out your budget and goals. You'll easily put $2k more into this cart, but better to have $2500-$3000 into a completed cart that's EXACTLY what you want versus someone else's project. Quality batteries and cables are a good start. Scotty B can definitely get you set up with a package. You may prefer a 4" lift over 6" if you're staying on road. Gonna add a back seat? What are your road conditions/hills? Sooo many options..lots of fun.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #4
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks Wakko47. The budget is good and not a real issue since I know I will have basically a brand new cart when done that will be what I want. I appreciate the comment on 4" lift. I would be fine with 4" as long as the 22" tires I plan on using will clear Ok. Anybody out there got 22" with a 4' DS lift???
Old 10-30-2020, 08:36 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

IMO the biggest factor in building it is if it is a 48v or 36v cart you’re starting with. If it’s a 36v you’re going to have a lot more work to do in order to convert to a 48v solid state controller cart. If it’s already 48v it makes things easier.

Also if it is 48v it makes a big difference if it’s series or sepex/iq.

I’m no expert in electric carts by any means, but I’ve owned and built a few. A 36v resistor, 48v series, and 48v sepex all look alike but are all completely different carts underneath the similar bodies.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:14 AM   #6
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

This is/was a 48v cart. I say was because it is now literally a blank brand new frame. I am swapping over the motor and diff along with the front suspension/steering from the old cart to the new frame. I don't plan to try and use any of the previous electric controls. That is why the solid state kit from Scotty B or other similar kit someone might recommend sounds attractive to me. Start with all new electrics and wires etc. An all inclusive kit (or mostly all inclusive) seems to make sense. Don't have to piece stuff together. Want a package that has been engineered and tested. Hoping someone with experience doing such a kit will chime in on their experience or if someone has other thoughts. I am in the planning/research stage now and grateful for any input from the folks here with way more knowledge and experience than I have. Want to do it right the first time.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car