lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
Alpo
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha G9 build

Hey everyone.

I picked up a Yamaha G9-A over the weekend and I'm getting ready for my first build. The cart has been in storage inside and out for the past few years, but the exterior of the cart cleaned up pretty well. I want to start my build off right so the first thing I want to do is get it up and running. The battery is missing so that's first on the list along with a good tune up. The battery specs in the manual that I downloaded are Greek to me. Does the cart take a small car battery, ATV battery or lawn & garden battery?

I also ran across a few posts about getting rid of the stock fuel filter and putting in an inline filter. What filter should I put inline?

I can see how much ya'll like pictures. I promise I'll get some going.
Alpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G9 build

Standard car battery works fine, in-line fuel filter between the pump and carb with fittings same as your fuel line, usually 1/4".......
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

any walmart or auto zone or any fuel filter will work.as long as the size fits the hose.
i use a truck battery in my G2a.you can pretty much use any 12 volt you want to.the better the battery,the longer it lasts.we do like pictures so lets get some on.we like to see builds from the start(hint,hint)
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
ribbingrider31
Gone Wild

Yamaha

yeah id love to see some pics of a good g9 build so i can steal ideas . But if you got a old car battery sitting around that still holds a charge good u can use that. At the moment i got a old ford f150 battery in my car. You can really put any battery in a gas golf cart it seems lol.
ribbingrider31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
Alpo
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks guys!!

Quote:
yeah id love to see some pics of a good g9 build so i can steal ideas
Didn't say it was going to be a good build. I'll do the best I can though.

I've got a few pics in the camera at home. I'll post them ASAP
Old 08-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Get the cheapest Walmart car battery (top post) you can find. I've ran these in my carts for years and they work great.

And, I do recommend (when you have the extra time) to cut out the factory fuel filter and install an inline filter. Just one of the 2 or 3 dollar plastic ones at an auto parts store.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
ribbingrider31
Gone Wild

Yamaha

does that make it run any better spriddle? i might try it too.
ribbingrider31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #8
Alpo
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I promised.

Here it is before the wash...

...and after a little bleaching and then some car wash.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #9
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbingrider31 View Post
does that make it run any better spriddle? i might try it too.
The factory fuel filters on these models is a bad design in my opinion. After time, the corrode and start to break off inside the tank and will start to clog up inside the line. One of the first things I do on these models is pull the factory fuel filter, cut/break out all the old filter, reinstall the cap (make sure you don't loose the little rubber seal inside the cap), and then install an inline filter (which is easily changed).

The best and cheapest route on this model for more power is completely bypass the governor and hook the pedal cable directly to the carb. and adjust it so the carb throttle completely opens and closes. Just be mindful of your rpms, don't run it wide open for long periods of time, and keep the oil changed regularly.

AND.......................

If your cart is lifted, buy the spring/spacer only torgue kit for around $45.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:07 AM   #10
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriddle View Post
The factory fuel filters on these models is a bad design in my opinion. After time, the corrode and start to break off inside the tank and will start to clog up inside the line. One of the first things I do on these models is pull the factory fuel filter, cut/break out all the old filter, reinstall the cap (make sure you don't loose the little rubber seal inside the cap), and then install an inline filter (which is easily changed).

The best and cheapest route on this model for more power is completely bypass the governor and hook the pedal cable directly to the carb. and adjust it so the carb throttle completely opens and closes. Just be mindful of your rpms, don't run it wide open for long periods of time, and keep the oil changed regularly.

AND.......................

If your cart is lifted, buy the spring/spacer only torgue kit for around $45.
totally argeed sprid!
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha