lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #21
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Default Re: 48V club car w/new batteries not charging

HEY I reccomended this in a different thread a few days ago, and got jumped all over, and was told a bad idea and not to do it that way. Now in this thread ScottyB reccomends it and the praises and pats on the back fly. SOOOO..is it OK to do or not. Opinions seem to have changed in 3 or 4 days??
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #22
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ox-I must have missed your prior thread. The idea was new to me but I think it is a pretty good alternate to cutting a lug off the new #4 cable and replacing after going through the OBC.

SO HERE IS YOUR PAT-PAT-PAT:
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #23
streetglide
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hello,

Voltage will be the same, but current will be about different depending on the resistances of each cable. 4ga will have more current since dc resistance is less. As far as the motor circuitry it would appear as one wire.

Just for reference....

E (voltage) = I (current) x R (resistance)

so, in the above case, E total = (I[4ga] x R1 [4ga]) + (I[6ga] x R2 [6ga])

so, I total = E total / ((R1xR2)/(R1+R2)), formula for finding total resistance of 2 un-equal parallel resistances.

We could go on and on with formulas, but since from the basic ohms law "E=IxR", we know that I (4g) and I (6ga) is an inverse proportional relationship to R (4g) and R (6ga), so, I believe (?) we can calculate the amps through each cable with a hypothetical total current without even calculating total resistance or total voltage drop over the 2 cables.

4ga welding cable has approximately 0.000197 ohms per foot resistance and 6ga has approximately 0.000313 ohms per foot resistance.

the 4ga wire would have 313+197=510, 313/510= 61.37% of the total AMPS flowing through it.
the 6ga wire would have 197/510= 38.63% of the total AMPS flowing through it.

IF the motor circuitry was pulling 100 amps total at a constant speed:
The 4ga would be carrying approx. 61.37 AMPS (61.37% of 100 amps)
The 4ga would be carrying approx. 38.63 AMPS (38.63% of 100 amps)

IF the motor circuitry was pulling 200 amps total at a constant speed:
The 4ga would be carrying approx. 122.74 AMPS (61.37% of 200 amps)
The 4ga would be carrying approx. 77.23 AMPS (38.63% of 200 amps)

Who cares?
If the OBC was an IQ, I would care. I don't know much about the '98 CC OBC, so I don't know....
streetglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #24
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcannow View Post
Ox-I must have missed your prior thread. The idea was new to me but I think it is a pretty good alternate to cutting a lug off the new #4 cable and replacing after going through the OBC.

SO HERE IS YOUR PAT-PAT-PAT:
ahhhh I feel so much better
But I was just wondering if this considered as acceptable or not...seems a lot changes over the course of a few days
The whole 2 cable thing is not my idea, just what I have seen posted on here many times over in the past...I personally have not tried it, but I know from reading here that it has been done..and not seen any posts stating any problems...yet.or I missed them
So whats the final verdict jury????or

EDIT: I just saw the bottom line of Streetglides very detailed post. Is it an IQ thing that makes a difference. Non IQ carts OK and IQ carts not OK??? Im really just trying to learn and figure this out....I will use this in the future I am sure
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #25
streetglide
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

To be honest, I think it is a great idea for most all! Probably only a few % of IQ owners use of care about or know about what features are really there. Most (or at least some) don't use CC chargers I would guess. If I hadn't had a bunch of problems when I re-wired my cart I wouldn't know either.

Once I found out about the sensor in the OBC, I went ahead and connected the back of the negative lead, ran it through the OBC, silver soldered the connector on then.

i can't seem to shake this IQ hang-up, can I? My next cart will hopefully have a large serial motor so I will get to see the other side for once! Thanks for trying to keep me honest. I knew your post would be coming so that's why I stopped in the middle of the first and did another. I tried to Edit the first but it had been to long!
roll:
Old 08-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #26
streetglide
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordlawn View Post

EDIT: I just saw the bottom line of Streetglides very detailed post. Is it an IQ thing that makes a difference. Non IQ carts OK and IQ carts not OK??? Im really just trying to learn and figure this out....I will use this in the future I am sure
I don't know about the non-IQ OBC. Getting to the point I wish I didn't know anything about the IQ (as in Ha!)

MANY people on many forums have used the by-pass cable trick with out any known issues......
Old 08-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #27
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ox-Streetglide is way over my head!! I have read the post three times and still can't understand it. I just use the old school method.

"if it ain't smellin or smokin it must be ok."

This sometimes costs a little $$ but does save a lot of time and stress.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #28
carguy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: 48V club car w/new batteries not charging

Steetglide you got it! EXACTLY what is was trying to say in my previous post. Geez, the last time I used those formulas was back in the USAF - when airplanes had upper & lower wings (biplanes)!

It's sorta like a water meter for a house. The water meter measures and reports the water going thru it, the same as the sensor/OBC on a Precedent.
Now if we add a second parallel water pipe from the water main to the house, water will flow thru both pipes, but the water measured thru the meter will be decreased.

Also, if the house is fitted (plumbed) with 1'' diameter pipes, but we are feeding the house with a 1/2' pipe, its the same as having 4 ga cables, but leaving one of the original 6 ga cables in place.

My head hurts - I gotta go get an adult beverage!

Have fun! Dave
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #29
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Carguy-Our original posts pertained to VOLTAGE. As I recall you felt voltage would be different between #4 & #6 cable due to size. The example you now have might reflect the amp flow as per Streetglide but has no bearing on different voltage between the two cables.. Per Street-"voltage remains the same". The beauty of this is that we all no a he-- of a lot more now than before. Thanks for the input-----and now for that beverage!!
Old 08-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #30
streetglide
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ref:
"My head hurts - I gotta go get an adult beverage!"
and
"and now for that beverage!!

IT'S FIVE O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE!
A few Dewars on the rocks and I'll be over it!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car