lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #11
wharris01
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Voltage regulator options ?

Looking to do the same thing, go from the 4 wire solid state regulator to a 3 wire from and earlier G9.

Do i just leave the brown wire off. Attach the red wire to the D+ terminal the black wire to the D- terminal and the green wire to the middle Df terminal?
wharris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

What cart do you have ?? Your public profile shows you have a Club Car. Could make a difference in the answers. RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #13
wharris01
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Yes I have a Club Car, but can't a guy have more than one??

I have an unrestored 79 Harley 3 wheel in excellent condition too. (For Sale)

This question is about a 92 G9 That has a bad electrionic VR. I have an older 3 terminal VR from an earlier G9 that i would like to use. The electronic one went bad and the cart would not shut down. It feeds 12V to the relay after the engine starts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1282.jpg (88.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1255.JPG (144.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #14
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The only reason I asked is because I'm familiar with the Yamaha system, but not familiar with the CC system. I didn't want to answer without really knowing what you were putting it on. I do know that the generating systems are real similar and a Yamaha regulator would probably work on a CC but I don't have the CC wiring to confirm that. Let me know if I can help any further. RAY

PS-Had a 60's Harley 3 wheeler for 10 or 12 years. Tough as nails!!! Was a real "trooper",but the wet clutch connection to the crankshaft finally gave out and had to punt it.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #15
wharris01
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The cart I have the question on is a Yamaha G9. Tee VR is 4 wire solid state. It went bad. We have an older VR also from a G9 that is the 3 terminal big box VR. I want to use the older VR on the G9 but dont know exaclty how to wire it. I think it should be as above but I don't know exactly what the brown wire is doing in the 4 wire VR. It is supplying 12v when the solinoid is energized but it was not used on the older VR. Any thoughts?
Old 09-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #16
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I recently helped someone out with a G9 where his solid state regulator went bad and smoked that brown wire!! Not really sure why the brown wire is there, but I think it can be safely removed without affecting anything. Just disconnect and insulate it and see what does/doesn't happen (possible that the brown wire supplies +12 v. to VR but not sure). The regulator should get its required +12 v. through the r/w wire when the accelerator is pressed and main switch on. The r/w wire should connect to the old regulator D+ terminal. The black wire should go to the old regulator D- terminal. The green wire should go to the old regulator DF terminal. That should make your generating circuit pretty much equal to a G2, which doesn't have the brown wire. Let me know how it goes. - RAY

PS-Just for my information, let me know how the plug for the solid state regulator is wired. I'm curious if the brown wire is connected to the r/w wire at the connector. I have a G16 with the solid state VR and it works with 3 wires !! Also, be aware that the Cunningham online wiring is not 100% correct. (r/w wire is not shown going to VR circuit)
Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #17
wharris01
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The solid state VR has 4 terminals.

NO, if you connect the r/w with the brown you will have the same condition as the bad VR I believe. The relay will not disengage.

Thanks for your opinion.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #18
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Ok, but a voltage regulator will not drain a battery, it may not charge it, it may even overcharge it, but not drain it. Just so other member's understand.
I don't know about the cart ones, but if you have a Ford product, the VR can most certainly drain the battery when it fails! Not trying to be a Wise A$$, just saying! I have a friend that used the rheostat in a headlight switch for a voltage regulator! He has a voltmeter on his dash and can set it for any voltage he desires. I'm not in any way recommending this, as I believe there can be issues involved, + I don't know what he did! There are simple tests for the regulator. I would start there.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #19
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

So the wires going to the regulator plug are: brown, r/w, green, and black ??
Correct ??
Old 09-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #20
wharris01
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Yup !!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha