lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
bbrazil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 84 gasser wont fire

I was given a 1984 ezgo. The previous owner said he had just he had just replaced the pistion and rebuilt the carb, but when he put it back in the cart it had no spark. I fixed the spark issue, when he put the motor back in he pinched the pusar wires between the motor mount and the motor. So, I have great spark now and it acts like it wants fire. I cranked it forever and finally it fired and ran very rough, but it did run for 20 seconds. It died and it wont fire again. Original fuel pump works and i have gas at the carb. I pulled the carb, cleaned, blew out jets and passages, changed the fuel and cleaned the tank and it still wont run but acts like its trying fire. Even spraying starting fluid into the carb wont make it fire. It acts like it wants to go but all i can get is a backfire every once in while. Can this be the crankshaft seals causing this? I have fuel and spark but not fire. Also after cranking it and trying to get it to go the spark plug is not even wet. Any help would be appreciated.
bbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 84 gasser wont fire

I wonder if he installed the piston backwards????
EZ guys is there a mark on the piston crown bb
can check through the spark plug hole???
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
bbrazil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

so if i look through the spark plug hole there is a mark on the piston to show that it is in correctly? what is the mark?
Old 01-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
steveb05
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

It does sound like a seal problem...especially if it was backfireing. Do you have a compression gauge?
steveb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
bbrazil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

going to rent one today that should narrow it down. Is there anyway to visually look to see if the pistion is in backward without taking the head off/
Old 01-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Yes. You can remove the exhaust pipe and look into the port with a flashlight. Get someone to turn the engine by hand. If you see the square port in the piston behind the rings then is is in wrong. However I think Steveb is correct. seals are a common problem. If is doesn't get excited when you spray gasoil into the air intact then it is not developing crankcase pressure. A way to test is to remove the fuel line to the carburetor and crank the engine. You should see a big spurting jet, not a slow dribble.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
bbrazil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

well just checked the compression, on 30psi. bummer going to have to rebuild and will also change out the crank seals at the same time
Old 01-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thats a bummer!! But i tell you what, it makes you feel good to hear your motor fire up after a fresh rebuild! Have fun with it, i know i did!! Since you have the motor out of the cart for the top end rebuild, might as well change the crank seals! Only 6.00 for reassurance!

Just my 0.02!

Jon
EZ-GoingJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
steveb05
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

It depends on what you want. If you want to KNOW your engine then yes, pull it all apart and go through it all. BUT, if you just wanna get it going, replace the seals first and see what you get.
steveb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

30 psi means your cylinder and rings are long gone. The crankshaft seals are not going to help improve compression. A top end overhaul kit (or a rebore and oversize piston) is now neccessary. You really should replace the crankshaft seals at the same time. Whether or not you replace the bottom end is up to you. You are going to have to pull the engine and then the flywheel and the clutch to get to the seals. That would be a good time to inspect the bearings and decide what to do. Bear in mind that the new compression is going to place a strain on old bearings and the big end. It would be a shame to do all this work now only to blow the bottom end out next summer.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO