lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
tplasek
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Rear Seat Mounting Question

I recently purchased this 2001 Ez-Go cart with a rear seat already installed. I took it apart today to remove the body for painting and noticed this flip seat appears to be made for a different model cart. It rests on the rear plastic body for support and was mounted with drilled holes through the plastic body above the rear tires. You can see in the attached picture the mounting plates over the rear tires. This is where the previous owner drilled through the plastic body and attached the seat. The weight of the passengers then rests solely on the plastic fenders. If you look closely you will see how the body has been deformed and now has depressions near the vinyl wear pads . This seat evidently also replaces the factory roof cover supports as they now end at the rear seat backrest support and no long continue all the way to the body. My main concern is the ONLY part of this seat frame that actually bolts to the metal cart frame is at the lower footrest. I am usually loaded with 4 grown adults, I am looking for something more stout. It also has some soft plywood so I am looking to get away from any seats that have plywood bottoms.

Am I correct that this is an incorrect seat for an Ez Go?

EDIT: After searching around for new seats and watching a couple of installation videos, I think this is indeed either a hunk of junk or is missing some support brackets. To get this one going again, I will have to get new plywood, and make several support brackets. I think I really want to get away from the plywood core if possible and just go with a new seat. There are two on eBay for $315 with shipping included. One has plastic core instead of plywood and the other has aluminum. I'm not looking for anything fancy or show quality, just a rear seat that will not fall off when sat on. Any other recommendations?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1674.jpg (134.1 KB, 63 views)
tplasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
steveb05
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rear Seat Mounting Question

I don't know for sure but my guess would be its for a older Marathon. However, I am looking for a rear seat setup that will work with the aftermarket roll cage I have and yours looks like the ticket. Would you be interested in selling it?
steveb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Your seat frame looks like this flip seat from Strech Plastics... You are missing the seat Platform.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3851.jpg (86.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3906.jpg (74.4 KB, 23 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
steveb05
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I think he had just taken that stuff off before taking the picture.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb05 View Post
I think he had just taken that stuff off before taking the picture.
He mentioned plywood and bolts thru the body? that isn't the same.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
steveb05
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah...I missed that part
Old 01-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
tplasek
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

In the picture I attached, the only items I removed were the seat cushions and the plywood deck which they mount to. After I got these off, I realized I had a problem when I saw the seat attached to the plastic body and noticed the deformation of the body. No metal framework was removed in the picture.

Good call on the Stretch Plastic seat. After looking over the installation instructions on their website, I see that my seat is missing ALL the braces that support it under the seat area. Their instructions indicate they supply replacement mounting hardware for the existing front backrest. The new brackets support the original backrest and the new rear seat bottom. I don't have these! There is also a bracket that goes down into the rear compartment area where the golf bags would sit and adds support from the rear bumper. I am missing that too. The rear seat was just bolted to the plastic body.

Now I have to decide if it is worth my time to: replace the soft plywood, replace rusting hardware, and make new support brackets; or just purchase a new seat. I am getting to a financial point in my life where sometimes my time is more valuable then the money I save making stuff. I am leaning towards a new seat. But I DO enjoy making stuff!!

Any other recommendations on plywood free replacement seats?
Old 01-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
steveb05
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Well if it helps you decide, I have a hybrid cart and right about where your mount flanges are in that picture, I have a roll cage flange that ties into the frame. Since I have the roll cage, I'd prefer a seat I could "modify" to wrap around the bars (wood being the easiest). So I'll offer again to purchase your existing setup should you decide to go with something else ;)
Old 01-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
tplasek
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

If I decide to buy a a new one, I will be more then happy to send my old one your way.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tplasek View Post
I am getting to a financial point in my life where sometimes my time is more valuable then the money I save making stuff. I am leaning towards a new seat. But I DO enjoy making stuff!!

Any other recommendations on plywood free replacement seats?
Time is money, you already know that. The plastic flip seats are very durable and hold up well. However, there is wood in that equation as well. The seat cushion is plywood/foam/vinyl screwed to the plastic platform. I mention this because they use regular galvanized screws in this location:

Moisture got to these screws and rusted them to nothing. Next thing you know, the seat cushion falls off while the cart is being trailered on the highway. I have replaced all of them with stainless hardware.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO