lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Honda 24hp impossible to shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack1 View Post
That is kind of what I thought it referred to. Without a feeler gauge and by just eyeballing it, the belt it neither too tight nor too loose. The cart does move forward when you take your foot off the brake and when you romp on it she wants to almost wheelie. When the engine is turned off the shifter is much more free but still not near as smooth as my old G16
I'm no gasser expert but I think this is your problem right here. If the gearset is "engaged" it will NOT want to disengage to allow a shift of direction. Either the idle is still too high or the belt length/clutch distance is wrong.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
flapjack1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
I'm no gasser expert but I think this is your problem right here. If the gearset is "engaged" it will NOT want to disengage to allow a shift of direction. Either the idle is still too high or the belt length/clutch distance is wrong.
The belt is plenty loose. I called the guys at Jakes and they said that is why they created the long-throw shifter because the big V-twins had so much torque you could not shift them without turning them off. My jakes shifter came in today so i will put her in tonight hoping that will fix the problem.

I have three friends that have the 20hp Hondas (mine is a 24) and they have a similar shifting problem and all have to keep their foot on the brake while cart is in gear. They also have their idle turned down so low you have to pump the gas to keep it running, when it gets low enough they can cram in into gear. they wanted me to be the guy that bought the $200 shifter!!

Thanks for the feedback so far gentlemen. Keep it coming, always open to new/better ideas.
flapjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
BLUE72CAMARO
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

sorry man but if the cart will not sit in gear with out moving either the clutch is engaging to fast, your idle is to high (which doesnt sound likely), or your belt is to tight. The torque of the motor should have nothing to do with it shifting at idle since the clutch should not be shifted in and contacting the belt or the belt should not be so tight it cant slip. I just set my stock ezgo up to idle last night and it goes from gear to gear just like it does when it isnt running.

You do realize that the belt should be loose enough you can take it on and off with out adjusting anything right? it shouldnt be tight at all when the engine is not running.
BLUE72CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
flapjack1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE72CAMARO View Post
sorry man but if the cart will not sit in gear with out moving either the clutch is engaging to fast, your idle is to high (which doesnt sound likely), or your belt is to tight. The torque of the motor should have nothing to do with it shifting at idle since the clutch should not be shifted in and contacting the belt or the belt should not be so tight it cant slip. I just set my stock ezgo up to idle last night and it goes from gear to gear just like it does when it isnt running.

You do realize that the belt should be loose enough you can take it on and off with out adjusting anything right? it shouldnt be tight at all when the engine is not running.
the belt is not tight at all when engines is not running, and can be taken off the rear pulley by hand, thus my dilema. I am not sure the clutch that came with the kit has any way to adjust at what RPM it engages....seems like it is like you said engaged all the time. I will try a longer belt after I get the shifter installed but I am afraid that will take away from my bottom end (I use this in fairly steep hills in a lake community around lake Texoma).
Old 02-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #15
BLUE72CAMARO
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack1 View Post
the belt is not tight at all when engines is not running, and can be taken off the rear pulley by hand, thus my dilema. I am not sure the clutch that came with the kit has any way to adjust at what RPM it engages....seems like it is like you said engaged all the time. I will try a longer belt after I get the shifter installed but I am afraid that will take away from my bottom end (I use this in fairly steep hills in a lake community around lake Texoma).
Alright if the belt is loose when the engine is off something has to be up with the clutch engagement. I had to put a heavier spring in my stock ezgo clutch to make it so it didnt engage at an idle. Like I said I just got it going last night and messed around idling it in the shed but the clutch doesnt clamp on the belt until you hit the gas.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #16
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

\
/ be sure you are square and in line also, if not the belt will drag.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #17
flapjack1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just got to check it out, the clutch is engaging when at idle, this seems to be my problem. I don't know if this is the stock EZ GO clutch or the one that came with the GX670 (bought the cart used) or not but I am trying to mess with the springs to it won't engage without some throttle.
Thanks for all the help. Now I may have to try and find a clutch that will work with this set up
Old 02-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #18
BLUE72CAMARO
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Do you know what speed the motor is idling at? if it is under 1200 rpm or so and you have a stock ezgo clutch the heavier spring from cpp should take care of it.

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/ezgo-cl...ng-spring.html

post up a picture so we can see the clutch and see if it looks like a stock ezgo or not.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #19
flapjack1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE72CAMARO View Post
Do you know what speed the motor is idling at? if it is under 1200 rpm or so and you have a stock ezgo clutch the heavier spring from cpp should take care of it.

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/ezgo-cl...ng-spring.html

post up a picture so we can see the clutch and see if it looks like a stock ezgo or not.
Will do, thanks for all the help
Old 02-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #20
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

If the shaft is 1 inch, it is not a stock clutch.

I posted on this in your other post, but I will chime in here..

The normal stock pedal activated engine never has this problem, because
you would stop the cart to go to reverse anyway, and the engine at standstill
would have zero anything on the clutch.

I set my stock cart up with a switch, so I could do certain things with it, that
using the pedal made more trouble..as in running an inverter and such.
The problem that came up, even with a 9 horse, is that any torque on the tranny is going to make it tough or impossible to shift.
Now that I am running a 23 briggs with an extra long belt, (for an 88 ezgo, 45 inches) and not using a pedal (using a kill switch, a fuel shut off switch and momentary contact switch for starter solenoid) I have the same situation..
That being , like you, I have to either have a belt long enough so that at a
high idle it won't torque the tranny, or low idle enough not to.
I took my shifter cables ALL the way off.
I put a 1/4 threaded rod about 20 " long from behind the seat in the middle,
through a hole that was designed for this, (lol) and then down directly to my shifter arm, with two locking nuts on each side of the arm to hold it..

THAT is my shifter... It is a 'make shift' shifter...

I got a plastic knob, not a skull head for the knob.

Then I idled my briggs way down ..so it just chugs.. and I can shift..with a little bit of tension.. My plan is about another 2" on the belt, I can always slide my motor a little forward if I need to.

All that was just to let you know you ain't alone.
Attached Images
File Type: gif make-shift.gif (181.3 KB, 29 views)
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO