lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
DFM870
Not Yet Wild

Default removal of driven clutch

I'm having trouble removing the Driven Clutch (please note - it is the DRIVEN clutch, not the drive clutch) from a 1996 E-Z-GO Workhorse - EH35 engine. I want to examine it to eliminate one possibility for a loss of power. I do not see the driven clutch moving as I drive.

I can remove the bolt from the center of the Driven Clutch, but can not slip the driven clutch off the spindle which comes from the transmission. I am concerned it may be rusted on or it has slipped and the teeth or grooves are not lined up. Do I need a puller? Is there such a puller?

I'd also appreciate an explanation of the purpose and proper function for this Driven Clutch. I have lost power, the compression in the cylinders is OK.

Thanks for any help.
DFM870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
rc324
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: removal of driven clutch

Spray it with liquid wrench and let it sit overnight. I then used a rubber mallet close to the splines to give it some help to come off.
rc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

http://products.jacobsen.com/img/man...559-g01-gb.pdf

Page g1 has exploded view.

A quick over view on operation is the driven senses the load and
allows the drive to close up and shift to a higher ratio as the cart
speeds up. The drive belt should ride near the top of the pulley when
the cart is at rest.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
DFM870
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the suggestions and help. I'll soak it over night, maybe two, and wack it with a rubber mallet. Thanks also for the link to the manual. At least now I can be on the right page, and get better information.
- I am grateful
(I'm new to forums and not sure how these threads work. Hope this is right. I'll post again when I get it off, or not.)
Old 03-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
rc324
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

DO NOt use a real hammer it will crack the housing. When i used the rubber mallet i kept it as close to the splines as possible.
rc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:26 AM   #6
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Soaking the clutch at the splines with penetrant is your best bet. Give it a couple of days and spray again. Note that the clutch is all aluminum and striking it could permanently damage it. First remove the center bolt then take a small prybar and a mallet and put slight pressure on the clutch just behind where it slips onto the output shaft and tap it off.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
56servi
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

For the tough ones I use a "pickel fork" (Ball Joint Seperator) from Harbor Freight. I grind the opening between the 2 tines so it will slip over the shaft the clutch is on. The wedge will drive the clutch away from the housing.

Good Luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_7353.jpg (3.0 KB, 97 views)
56servi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
DFM870
Not Yet Wild

Thanks to everyone. The online community here is a great resource.
I GOT IT OFF this morning!! Soaked it a lot, reapplying the penetrating oil as often as I remembered to go do it. I wacked at it with a rubber mallet - not overly strong, but frequently and firmly around as many edges as I could get to. Slowly it budged then came away. It is in bad shape, pieces rattling around inside.

Thank you all very much!

Tags
driven clutch, e-z-go txt, loss of power
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO