lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
fireman4awhile
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Unhappy Need Some Assistance/Guidance

I have a 2001 all stock EzGo (with the exception of lift/tires/wheels). The batteries are labeled as 2009 and were supposed to be conditioned in 2010 (when I purchased the cart). Ran the cart last year without any issues. The cart was charged and has been stored in the back of the toy hauler camper over the winter. Yesterday I removed the cart in hopes of getting it ready for the upcoming camping trip. Turned on the switch and no go.....pushed the cart to the garage and plugged in the charger and then the charger into the cart and nothing....the charger does not come on automatically when plugged into the cart. The batteries are a little low on water however nothing too drastic. My cousin seems to think the batteries are totally shot therefore "tricking" the charger thus not allowing it to charge the batteries.

I NEED SOME HELP.......

Suggestions as to where to begin looking?
fireman4awhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Need Some Assistance/Guidance

By chance you even put a meter on the batteries and took a reading of pack volts and individual readings to get some facts?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Tony M
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

If it sit all winter without being charged, chances are that the voltage is too low for the charger to kick in. Try disconnecting the pack and charge 2 batteries at a time with a 12 volt charger.
Tony M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
If it sit all winter without being charged, chances are that the voltage is too low for the charger to kick in. Try disconnecting the pack and charge 2 batteries at a time with a 12 volt charger.
Do as Tony says and plug the charger in when you get to the third and final pair. The cart charger should see enough voltage to come on then. This is not the correct way to store batteries for the winter, some type of charge maintenance should be employed. Irreversible damage occurs when batteries are left in a state of discharge.
Good luck and keep us posted.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

The above info is correct with a added bit. You don't have to disconnect anything to use the 12 volt autamotive charger. Just hook it up to the 2 batteries that have the cable between them. Once the charger has put enough juice back into a couple of pairs the golf cart charger will kick on.
(CAUTION)
Do all this with the charger disconnected from the cart & wall outlet!!!!

Another way is to take the charger a part and make a jumper for the 2 black wires in the relay cube and plug it back in and it should charge them. After about 30 minutes cut it off and put it back like it was. Finish charging them as you normally do.
Does it look like this one?

If so here is the two wires you jump out.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

WTH are you talking about incorrect?

The method I describe has been done hundreds of times...... by shops around the country ??????????

Never did I say disconnect anything ????
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
WTH are you talking about incorrect?

The method I describe has been done hundreds of times...... by shops around the country ??????????

Never did I say disconnect anything ????

What is the problem Scottyb,
I never said you! Excuse me.

Quote:
Tony M
Old 04-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

I'm Seein RED!!!!!!
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
popslcfr
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Scottyb & Andy463
Do the batties draw any power just setting all winter not being used and should you have and automatic triggle charger on them for winter? I was redoing my CC this winter and had the batteries out all winter and when I put them back in I charged a couple times and they were good to go. Just asking.
popslcfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Question Re: Need Some Assistance/Guidance

The batteries will self discharge over a peroid of time on their own. If the weather was really cold then it may have hurt them worse than say in a hot climate. Depends also on what you had hooked up to them. A radio with memory will drain the life out of them because it keeps drawing off the batteries until they just want function anymore.
I have charged my 04 up before leaving it at the beach and it has gone for 2 months without any issue's that I can see. Golf cart batteries don't like discharge state though. If storing it make sure you either put a trickle charger on it or keep a full charge on them every couple of months.

I have a old 36 volt trickle charger I use sometimes on the 04 if it's going to be really cold while I'm gone. Over Christmas and other cold times.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO