lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Price on Top and Supports for Marathon

SO I decided to go with a top this year but have been having a terrible time finding a used one with supports in decent condition ... I just came across a brand new OEM EZGO top and supports (a rare find considering they discontinued them in 1996, according to our local-ish dealer) but the seller is asking $200 which I think is pretty stiff (especially considering I will be painting the entire shebang to match the cart.

I found what looks to be a really decent used one for $75, but it's like an hour and a half away and shipping would be impossible - not to mention finding 4 hours round-trip to go get it, the gas, etc ...

My question is this, is $200 a decent price or am I just being a cheapskate, also is there anyone within an hour or so of Lake Geneva, WI that has a top they want to sell for Marathon? Any idea what these sold for new?

I guess I'm just thinking that for $200 I could easily have some custom supports fabbed up and find a nice top from just about ANY cart, there are a ton of CC and late EZGO tops on CL, etc around here for $50-75
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Price on Top and Supports for Marathon

I just bought one and dealer cost was like $135 plus the front and rear supports!?
Open your wallet and let the sun shine in on those moldy dollar bills some
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

You can get a used top and a lot of 1" square tubing for $200.00 or spend the 200 and be done with it, What is your time worth? either driving to get cheaper or fab time?
I bought a top for real cheap from a local dealers boneyard and then built a frame/rollcage looking support using 1.5" exhaust tubing.
Might have $75.00 in it.

crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Ezgo top on a Yami = nice

I put txt top on an old Melex.... worked good too. Those Txt tops used to sit in piles at every dealer.... $40 max?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1353.jpg (270.8 KB, 8 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
littlecarguy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey BrewCity, I just purchased a used top with all the hardwarae from my local dealer. He got a trade in that he was going to junk. Sold me everthing right down to the bolts for $50. I'm almost finished putting my cart back together. I'll post a pic when it's done.
littlecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the input guys - I think I like the idea of tracking down a TXT top and fabbing something up (those original Marathon tops look a little spindly to me and I really like the idea of using heavier tubing) - I think I'll poke around and see what I find, maybe spend the $ I put aside for cargo baskets

Thanks again!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Post up some pics when ya get started on it BCM.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

will do - I just facebooked for a little help with the bending (I just raided the barn and found a ton of really nice thinwall 1 3/8 tubing in 8ft lengths - I think it might have been a bigger tent frame at one time) ... although now that I'm giving it some thought, I might actually say screw it and do a low-profile smoked windshield and a roll bar setup, that tubing would be perfect for it, hmmm ....
Old 05-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #9
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Heck, I bought my cart for $200 - find a non-working donor cart with a canopy (seeing you have a Marathon, they are competitively priced), and maybe there are other good parts on there you can strip and shelve for future use (carb, gen, crank, clutch, etc.)?

Think of it as a parts savings account.

You could try finding something by a WTB ad on Kijiji or craigslist as well. That was how I got my cart - said I would pay $200 for a non-working but complete cart. Got a call the same day.

........waiting for the rebuild kit is worse than waiting for Christmas as a kid.......
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Scoot - how do you think I got my cart in the FIRST place, hahaha ... Only I paid $60 and a case of beer to borrow the trailer to get her home, though

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO