lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
zx800x
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 EZ GO No reverse

just purchased a 1989 ex go gas. Got the rig running, had a few cracked fuel lines. When I put the switch to reverse nothing at all happens, no click no crank nothing. Forward everything works fine. Is there something I need to look at? Think its the switch?
zx800x is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 EZ GO No reverse

there is a microswitch located inside the F/R controller that could possibly be the culprit, although if the cart was sitting it also could likely be the contacts in the F/R assembly itself. Before I started tearing anything apart, I'd get a can of contact cleaner and spray the heck out of the assembly (inside, where the contacts are) while working it back and forth, also do a basic check of the small wires going into the assembly to make sure the ones that go to the microswitch aren't broken, unhooked, etc.

This may help you troubleshoot:

BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

BMC is on the money (again). The chances are that the cart has been left standing in the forward position so the contacts in the reverse position are corroded. It's pretty easy to take the switch apart and tickle the contacts with some sandpaper. First I would be tempted to switch between forward and reverse (with the key off) several times to see if that polishes the connectors.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:03 AM   #4
bigtony55
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
there is a microswitch located inside the F/R controller that could possibly be the culprit, although if the cart was sitting it also could likely be the contacts in the F/R assembly itself. Before I started tearing anything apart, I'd get a can of contact cleaner and spray the heck out of the assembly (inside, where the contacts are) while working it back and forth, also do a basic check of the small wires going into the assembly to make sure the ones that go to the microswitch aren't broken, unhooked, etc.

This may help you troubleshoot:

Am i blind or does this not show the micro switches?? im having simliar problem cart starts and runs gret in reverse NODDA in forward i tried chaning the wires around on the micro switch every which way i can and same thing one switch has 2 wires hooked up the other one only have one and only has spot for one the other side of it fires the reverse buzzer
bigtony55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

the diagram is a little deceptive, the reverse warning switch and (depending on year) neutral limit switch are inside the F/R assembly - I would follw Daves advice and carefully dismantle the assembly, replace the reverse warning sitch (which is likely faulty if it sounds off anytime it's hooked back up) and thoroughly clean the contacts, etc as well as double-check any other switches in there
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
zx800x
Not Yet Wild

Just getting time to get back to this. I found a broken black wire/connector at the (reverse) micro switch. Replaced the end and still no reverse. If I hook up the red wire on the reverse micro switch the alarm is always on. Does this mean anything? Can I bypass this just to test out the circuit? Want to get reverse to work. Installed the TXT front piece and looks good. Now get the backrest on and reverse and she'll be pimpin.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
1lane66
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm having the same problem. buzzer on all the time if connected but nogo. i ohmed out the switch and seemed to check good but under power constant buzz and no movement. I think I'm going to order both new switches and buzzer and go from there
1lane66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
zx800x
Not Yet Wild

Found the issue. Its the neutral limit switch on mine. Not sure what the actual issue is, but when I rotate the main F-N-R switch there is a plastic portion that trips the reverse and neutral limit switch. When in reverse it seems to still push the switch, which opens the circuit. I jumped that switch and now I have forward and reverse. Not quite sure if the thing got rotated out of time somehow or what happened?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO