lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
TECHBOSS
Not Yet Wild

Default 1984 ex-go gas

i just picked up this cart and it won't start,backfires here and there. so far i have checked for spark,clean fuel to the carb,compression is 50 at best. i believe it is overhaul time. where do i find a overhaul kit? anything else i should look at before i pull it out?
TECHBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1984 ex-go gas

Hi Techboss and welcome to the forum.

As I am sure that you have realised it is time for a rebuild. Your choies are to rebuild the top only or the complete engine. I rebuilt both as my crankshaft had locked and I am glad I did. The top end kit can be found for less that $200 and the complete kit for less than $400. Just surf on any of the forum sponsors, they are all decent people. My favorite is everything carts but you should make your own call.

Here are a few things I have learned.

Before you pull the engine remove the drive belt and holding the clutch try to pull the engine up and down. If the clutch moves but the engine doesn't your bearings need replacement. (Three of them at $7 each)
If you decide to only rebuild the top end you must replace the crankshaft oil seals as well. Getting the clutch and the flywheel off is a bear but I promise that those seals are already on their way out and they dramatcally affect engine performance. Replace them now or weep bitter tears of rage and frustration tomorrow.
When you replace the piston make sure it goes in the right way. The port in the skirt faces the carburetor. As a cruel joke if it is the wrong way the engine will run but only just. Checking the piston will be the thing you after you have tested everything else and eventually torched the cart.
There are many many other tips and tricks so if you do this thing and get stuck, shout out, lots of us two stroke boys are here to help.
Finally congratulations on the new car,t a newly built and well running two stroke will run rings around these four stroke boys.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
TECHBOSS
Not Yet Wild

looks like the cylinder is damaged. source for that would be helpful, or is their oversized piston's availible?
Old 07-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

You can either take the cylinder to a machine shop and have it rebored with an oversized piston or buy the top end rebuild kit. This gives you a new cylinder, piston, gaskets and everything else you need. As I said before you really should also replace the oil seals while the engine is out.
Just click on the site sponsor tab above and pick one. They all seem to carry the kit.

Dave
Old 07-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
TECHBOSS
Not Yet Wild

IT'S ALIVE AGAIN.
thanks for the advise, bearings were shot like you thought.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Good job, well done enjoy your cart.

Dave
Old 07-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
TECHBOSS
Not Yet Wild

since your online any suggestion for belt length?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

This is the belt I used and most other guys also the best price and it will be at your door in 2 or 3 days. Their not a site sponsor but the price can't be beat.
http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/HP3004.html
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:01 AM   #9
racin161
Gone Wild

Bought one from them and was very pleased with the service. It also showed up as a goodyear brand but who cares.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO