lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Default Getting broken fuel pump bolt out

Hello all,
I was just putting the new fuel pump on 82 2 cycle and the bolt by the fuel line coming in snapped off. It is not raised any. I was wandering if any body has had any luck at getting these out without pulling the engine. I want to try different ideas without pulling the engine, because I don't know much about the engine yet. I was figuring I could tape things off and drill through it I guess. Then I would have to screw a screw in it and try to back it out.
fingerpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Getting broken fuel pump bolt out

You could try a reverse drill bit.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Reverse drill bit or Sears make a kit for doing exactly that.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
jrohdy
Not Yet Wild

I would suggest a heil coil repair kit. I have had experience with this issue, the problem with a reverse drill bit(or bolt extractor) is that if it breaks, you sol cause you cant drill them out. So with a heil coli(or thread repair kit) before you start drilling make sure you are lined up to where the hole needs to be. One on the worst things I hate when it comes to mechanical work is a broken off or rounded off bolt good luck!
jrohdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

It can be removed with a screw extractor but you need to determine why it happened in the first place.
If it was to long and bottomed out before it broke it will be hard to unscrew after you drill it.
To drill it, first grind it flat so you can center punch it more accuratly.
Then drill with the smallest bit you have to keep "walking" to a minimum.
Then step up in size until you get to the extractor size you have.
If you get it out, run a tap in it to clean up any trash and blow it out.
If you can't get it out, then either over drill and tap and drill fuel pump hole to use next size bolt or drill and tap with proper Heli-coil kit.

Any way you go about it you need to take your time and do it right.
It's going to take a while so I would suggest pulling the motor to do it to reduce the risk of mistakes but that's your call.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Thanks for the replies guys. I went and looked for the extractor set that was fluted. I found them at Advanced. I am going to try to get to it tomorrow. I couldn't make the time today. I messed with it for a while and got too frustrated. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

well, so far the bolt has got me beat. This cart has been a nightmare from day one. I got the fluted extractor set, reverse drill bit. It didn't work. I have tried over drilling a little. I haven't been able to get that to work just right. I have wasted hours on it today. I think I am going to throw in the towel for today. Maybe I just need to get my head back clear for it.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

yep - sometimes walking away is the best way to get there with these things
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:18 AM   #9
rocko
Gone Wild

getting out broken bolts is an art in itself , if you break a bit or ez-out in the hole it is big trouble , the pilot hole you start with is the most important step , a small bit is best to start and you must be centered , sometimes if you are not centered it will still come out with and ez-out but if it don't then the next step is critical that it be in the middle , that is to keep going up in size till you colaspe the threads and are able to run a tap in and clean up the threads , if you mess up and destroy the threads a helicoil will some times fix it , another thing that is possible once you messed up the hole is to J.B. Weld a threaded stud into the hole and use a nut on top of it , sometimes a little heat will help ----------- there are welding rods out there just for what you are doing I have used them on bigger bolts but would think you are dealing with a 1/4 " bolt and never tried it on small bolts , these rods are pretty amazing as they don't stick to anything but the bolt and the nut you lay on top the bolt , you stick the rod thru the nut and contact the bolt and it doesn't stick to the block only the nut and bolt , I would have never believed it if I had not done it ----------don't rush it , haste makes waste
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Thankx Rocko for the tips, yeah I had messed it up and drilled it a little off center. I tired to carry it to a machine shop, but the guy just had hernia surgery, and he's the only machine shop here. Well, my stepdad looked at it and said it's no problem. He's been a body man for years. The only thing that has me concerned is where I drilled it was a little off center. Most of the bolt is out. he said, we're going to have to go up a bolt size and I guess maybe redrill the hole on one side of the fuel pump. I had to put a little jbweld around the outside bottom. I am wandering if some shards get inside the screw hole, will it cause a crankcase problem, or is it dead space at the end of the screw holes. I have the middle one plugged up so nothing won't get inside.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO