lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Batman2696
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default What motor is this? 86 Marathon

Hello, I have an 86 Marathon with a 2 stroke motor. I am trying to figure out how to identify it for the purpose of finding parts. My kids ride it around the yard and it developed a tick in the motor. I pulled the spark plug and it still has the tick when it cranks. The motor runs fine even with the tick but what is very interesting is that the tick is not there when in reverse. Any information I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Keith
Batman2696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What motor is this? 86 Marathon

Hello Keith and welcome to BGW. You have a Robin 2PG engine, most parts sellers will quote 82 - 88 as the year range that will fit your engine. It is a fine little engine that develops 9 hp.

With regard to the ticking I would be tempted to look at the starter generator, specifically the brushes. You could try removing the starter belt and then spinning the pulley in either direction If you hear the tick it is the generator, if not it is the engine.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Batman2696
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I removed the belt and the tick is still there so it's in the motor. I just don't understand why it would be on one direction of rotation but not the other. Thanks alot for the information.
Batman2696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Keith, did you remove the main drive belt or the starter belt. I assume that you removed the drive belt and then started the engine which is how you heard the tick. What I was suggesting is to remove the starter belt (and you have to remove the drive belt first), then spin the starter/generator by hand in both directions.
I am guessing that the starter brushes are worn and as the engine is generally started in the forward direction they do not wear evenly.
If I misunderstood your post let me know.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO