lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Razo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Yamaha electric

Hi all,
I am helping a friend with a 48v 2008 Yamaha cart. The original issue was a popped fuse in his radio which I replaced. The cart was placed on charger overnight and then used 1st thing the next day, showing a full charge gauge.
After just over 18 holes of golf the charge gauge started blinking and then the cart cut out. The cart was left overnight (not on charger) and the next morning when switched on it showed a full gauge again however when you have the radio or lights on and then throttle they will cut out. After driving it a very short time the charge gauge was dropping quickly. I think it is a dead battery cell that is failing under load. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks
Razo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Yamaha electric

I don't know Yamaha from Sushi other than they both smell like dead fish.
But batteries are batteries and they should have been put on charge after 18 holes.

Could be a bad battery or batteries, but it could also be the batteries are simply discharged.

We already know the SoC meter is unreliable since it showed a "Full" charge after playing 18 holes and sitting overnight without being recharged.

Put the batteries on charge and let the charge run until is shuts of automatically.
Let the batteries rest (don't charge or use) for at least 6 hours (preferably 12 or longer) and measure the pack voltage as well as the individual battery voltages with a DVM.

The 48V ack should read about 50.93V and the individual batteries should be about 12.73V (I'm guessing it is a 4 x 12V battery pack) and should be within about 0.5V of each other.

If they check good, run the cart for a mile or two, let the batteries rest for 15 minutes and measure the individual voltages again.
They will be lower, how much depends on how old the batteries are and how they have been maintained, but they should still read within about 0.5V of each other.

If one reads significantly lower, it is bad.

Here is a State of Charge chart. The higher you keep the batteries charged the better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batterytable1118242f71.jpg (43.1 KB, 2 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
Razo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Yamaha electric

Thanks JohnnieB
Will do. I am fairly sure it is a bad battery causing the problem.
Thanks again
Razo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO