lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
Rangerdaniel
Getting Wild

Default Re: Adding a volt meter

Is the 50% rule basically dont ever let them get to 50%?
Rangerdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdaniel View Post
Is the 50% rule basically dont ever let them get to 50%?
It's more like: Never discharge them below 50%

Some battery manufacturers claim it is safe to discharge their batteries lower then 50%, but they are in the business of selling batteries.

You probably won't kill a battery taking it below 50%, but you will reduce its life expectancy greatly.

Here is the way it works.
A new golf cart battery has a finite number of discharge/recharge cycles designed into it.
If you play 9 holes and recharge, you've used one cycle.
However, if you play 18 holes before you recharge, you've used three cycles.
The more you discharge your battery before recharging, the number of cycles used increases exponentially (or whatever the non-linear curve on the SoC vs Life Expectancy graph I posted earlier is called)

Bottom line: Strive to keep your batteries at the highest State of Charge that is possible or practical and they will last longer.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
New2Carts Guy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I also just ordered one from Scotty. Can't wait for it to get here so I can install it. Its probably already been discussed, but with stock everything on my 36v pds cart and running on a flat surface what does that voltage meter read when the cart comes to a stop and is essentially dead.

Just trying to figure out of much time I have before I have to push the cart home.
New2Carts Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #14
Rangerdaniel
Getting Wild

Great advice. I ha no clue!
Rangerdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Carts Guy View Post
I also just ordered one from Scotty. Can't wait for it to get here so I can install it. Its probably already been discussed, but with stock everything on my 36v pds cart and running on a flat surface what does that voltage meter read when the cart comes to a stop and is essentially dead.

Just trying to figure out of much time I have before I have to push the cart home.
Not sure if I understand your question but NEVER run the cart until it is dead.

Every time you deep discharge your batteries you are putting another nail in their coffin.
Stay above 50% and you will never walk home....... not getting much run time above 50% ? Your batteries may already be on their way out....

Read backwards through this thread some and you will see what I mean.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #16
New2Carts Guy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I was just wondering about run time references comparing pack voltage readings. Its probably a loaded question because of so many external factors. Bottom line is from what I understand from the chart is that you don't let the dvm read below 36.30 on a 36v pack correct?
New2Carts Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #17
greenmonster
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Carts Guy View Post
I was just wondering about run time references comparing pack voltage readings. Its probably a loaded question because of so many external factors. Bottom line is from what I understand from the chart is that you don't let the dvm read below 36.30 on a 36v pack correct?
Yes, you are correct.
greenmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO