lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Meash
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile Regenerative Braking not working? Help Please!

Hello fellow carters....

My cart (2006 ezgo electric) did not have a speed chip installed when I purchased it a short while ago. I use it in a very hilly campground, it was way to fast down hill, almost uncontrollable. I have ordered the 'Steep Hill' speed chip, however it is not in yet... Meanwhile, I have jumped the connector as per a diagram I found in this forum to the Steep Hill setting. When checked in diagnostic mode, it beeps twice. (yes flipped the run/tow switch after testing to exit diagnostic mode) However, still super fast downhill. Pretty much have to ride the breaks (to the floor) all the way down the hill.

Any suggestions?
Will/should my wire jumping trick to mimic installing speed chip work?

I think my brakes may be worn... are they used for regenerative braking at all? Can the brakes be adjusted? When I put the pedal to the floor it stops fine (locks tires on gravel).

Your replies and wisdom will be most appreciated!!!!
Meash is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Regenerative Braking not working? Help Please!

Regenerative braking is the "recharging" of the battery pack through the motor when you are going downhill. It has nothing to do with the actual braking of your cart. Sounds like you do not have a true problem.
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Meash
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Pilot, glad to hear that... Any suggestions ideas around why the cart is not slowing down at all when going down hill?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What is done to the cart? Rear seat? Lift? Extra passengers?

Scottyb preaches it all the time about the stock brakes being uncapable to handle anything but a stock cart on a golf course. The disc brake kit is an absolutely needed upgrade.

I used to read Scotty's post about brakes, and say to myself, my stock brakes are fine they stop me. Then I started paying attention to how long and far it took my cart to slow down and I realized that I had to do something. I decided to just pony up the $$$ to do the disc brake kit. I can tell you now that the difference is not even close.. The disc brakes stop quick, and in a WAY shorter distance that the drums.

I will now let my kids drive (with me on the cart still) with their friends on it. As before I wasn't sure the cart could handle braking if something happened.
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Meash
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks again Pilot.
The cart is 100% stock, no seats, lift, accessories, etc...

Regardless of the brakes, should the cart not slow down to at least 13Km going down a hill on its own without touching the brakes? The last thing I want to do is ride the brakes all the way down the hill. There is absolutely no resistance on the cart to slow it down at all, unless I apply the brakes.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meash View Post
Thanks Pilot, glad to hear that... Any suggestions ideas around why the cart is not slowing down at all when going down hill?
In the All Terrain (No jumpers) and Steep hill modes, the regen barking should kick in when the cart's speed exceeds the max speed for the PDS mode it is in, which is 13-13.5 mph for those two.

In addition, in the Steep Hill mode, the regen braking should come on strong about a second after you take your foot off the throttle.

There is a safety cut-off to prevent overcharging a fully charged battery pack, but that should be an issue after climbing the first hill.

Other than that, if the cart is getting up to about 13MPH on level ground, I can't think of anything other than that part of the controller being bad.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Speed sensor malfunction?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Agreed, Speed sensor failure or the homemade 'chip' is not working.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

In addition to the other posts, read through this thread. It may help you.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post515416
I noticed it started in the middle ( I used search ), so just go to the top of the page for all the info.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meash View Post
Thanks again Pilot.
The cart is 100% stock, no seats, lift, accessories, etc...

Regardless of the brakes, should the cart not slow down to at least 13Km going down a hill on its own without touching the brakes? The last thing I want to do is ride the brakes all the way down the hill. There is absolutely no resistance on the cart to slow it down at all, unless I apply the brakes.
13-13.5 MPH or 21-22 KPH

Here is the speed and regen levels for the various modes.
The high speed limiter kicks in a little above the Max speed.
Mine kicks in about 20MPH in Freedom Mode and about 16MPH in Mild Hill, I don't know about the other two, I've never used them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Mode speed-regen level.JPG (18.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO