lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
wbwood
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 48V Battery Charge Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
No, it isn't. 52V is over a volt over 100%, so you probably reading a surface charge.

To get an accurate SoC reading from the chart, let batteries "Rest" for 12 hours after charger automatically cuts off.

Your pack voltage when the charger cuts off is in the 58V - 61V range, but that is a surface charge and doesn't accurately reflect State of Charge.
Give them about half a day to deplete through self-discharge, or drive about a mile.
I'm glad you said that. Yesterday I went for a ride in the neighborhood. Came home, parked the golf cart and plugged it in. A few hours later, my wife went into the garage for something and smelled a bad smell. She came and got me and it was coming from the golf cart. It was a rotten egg smell and could hear a little boiling. I unplugged the cart and immediately came and checked the forum and read about having too much water in them. A week or so ag I had added water to them but filled them to the bottom of the fill cap. from what I read, this may have been too much. So I removed a little water from each cell until they were about 1/4" above the plates. I then put the charger back on and it started bubbling again so I unplugged it overnight. This morning when I returned home from work, I plugged in the cart and after about an hour, I checked on it and I could get a whif of the smell again, but not nearly as bad. Also heard the gurgling sound. So I unplugged it. This afternoon I went and bought a digital volt meter and hydrometer. I did a check with the volt meter and everything was reading fine. All were pretty close in numbers with one another. I also did a check with the hydrometer and all cells read to the top of the good reading. I was just reading about getting a reading for the total battery pack and it read higher than what the chart said it should. I thought the charger might be overcharging. That was until I read about letting the cart rest for 12 hours after it shuts off. So that is what i'm doing next. I will check the cart tomorrow when I get home.

I hope everything is working. WE just bought this 2005 CC DS and it has 2011 batteries. WE bought it over some other higher priced carts due to the fact that it had newer batteries and wouldn't have to chunk out $600 in the immediate future on new ones. Would rather spend that money on customizing.
wbwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
chrisp83
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
No, it isn't. 52V is over a volt over 100%, so you probably reading a surface charge.

To get an accurate SoC reading from the chart, let batteries "Rest" for 12 hours after charger automatically cuts off.

Your pack voltage when the charger cuts off is in the 58V - 61V range, but that is a surface charge and doesn't accurately reflect State of Charge.
Give them about half a day to deplete through self-discharge, or drive about a mile.
I just checked the cart again, reading is now 55v. It has been off charge for well over 12 hours now, but not driven any.

Thanks for your help.

Chris
chrisp83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
wbwood
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp83 View Post
I just checked the cart again, reading is now 55v. It has been off charge for well over 12 hours now, but not driven any.

Thanks for your help.

Chris
From what I read, isn't that still high?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #14
chrisp83
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbwood View Post
From what I read, isn't that still high?
I would agree that it seems a little high, but not sure. I haven't driven it since I charged it yesterday.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #15
wbwood
Getting Wild

Club Car

according to JohnnieB even 52V is 1V over the normal...

I see MB as part of your location, you go down to OL?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #16
chrisp83
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbwood View Post
according to JohnnieB even 52V is 1V over the normal...

I see MB as part of your location, you go down to OL?
At least I am not sitting on 4 $210 dead batteries, for now!

Yes, we have a 5th wheel in OL. That's the only reason we built a electric cart :). Heading up the 5/18 - 5/29.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
wbwood
Getting Wild

Club Car

Cool. We gy a TT there. We bought our cart from their old rental fleet last month. Going bac first weekend of June and then for a wee in July.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #18
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The " boiling " is called gassing, and is perfectly normal towards the end of the charge. Also check and only fill to the indicator after you have charged the batteries.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
48v, rxv, t-1275, trojan
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO