lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
FF Titus
Gone Wild

Default 48V Jerking Motion & QE Charger PITA

I'm trying to help a friend out with this one. It's a 2010 TXT Freedom 48V. Batteries are new but sadly he left them sit. In his garage, so they didn't freeze during the winter, but let them sit with 0 power going to them.

Long story short, I made a non automatic charger (36 volt) to get the juice up on the batteries. After two days they are finally back and holding currently around 42 volts. Now here's where it gets interesting:

Around the 42 volts, I plug the QE charger in and watching my volt meter, I notice the QE clicks on green, blinks roughly 5 times green then clicks off. During this time, the voltage climbs to roughly 65 volts, then it clicks off and climbs back down to the 45 range, and the QE gives me 2 red blinks.

I am able to get the car to move though, however the car bucks or jerks as if it's holding back on me. I hear the solenoid click like normal.

Thoughts? Thanks so much!
FF Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48V Jerking Motion & QE Charger PITA

Your friend needs a new set of batteries and a good charger.

The two red flashes means the QE thinks the battery pack is too discharged or too overcharged to charge.

The jerking could be the controller going into low voltage cut-off.
What are the pack and individual battery voltage while moving?

I doubt if those batteries can be rejuvenated enough to do anything useful, but letting them cook for a few more days on the manual 36V charger probably won't hurt them any.
If they are any good at all, a manual 36V charger with a ferroresonant transformer ought to bring them up to about 48V or more, but it will take some time.

Check the open circuit voltage of the 36V manual charger. It will be less with current flowing, but that will give you an idea of how high a 36V charger can actually charge a 48V battery.

Next year, when your friend stores his cart for the winter, he needs a charger that maintains or float charges the batteries. Such as the DPI.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO