lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Cecilt
Not Yet Wild

Default Installing Stereo

Figured it was time to install a stereo. Nothing fancy, just a receiver that can play radio and ipod and an occassional CD with 2 speakers. I have an 2002 EZGO electric. I was thinking of using the pod mounts like these for the speakers http://www.customspeakerpods.com/E-Z...-carts_c36.htm. Can anyone comment on the $50 ones. Doesn't seem worth the extra $50 for the ones that look a little cleaner.

The local shop who will do this does not recommend putting the speakers under the battery as the discharge from the batteries will destroy the speakers in short time. He normally installs 4 1/4" speakers under the cup holder but I figured 6 1/2" would produce better sound but the location has me concerned as they can get wet when hauling it in the pickup for several hours to our destinations. I plan to use Marine grade speakers though if that is what you experienced folks recommend.

The shop also suggested a reducer vs. a separate battery. Said the cost would be less than buying a deep cycle battery and then having to worry about charging it separate from the other 6 batteries.

I was leaning toward a marine grade receiver and putting it where the golf balls go. Is this space big enough to also install one of those covers to keep rain out.

We use the cart about 3 weeks out of the year. At Ocean Lakes so the use is limited in every respect. When we will not be at OL it will be stored inside waiting for the following year to roll around. tks
Cecilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
buzzmanc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Installing Stereo

Not sure about the pods, but the receiver will fit into the ball holder almost perfectly. I cut out mine with a Dremel and it was pretty simple. Good luck,

Chris
buzzmanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilt View Post
Figured it was time to install a stereo.

I was leaning toward a marine grade receiver and putting it where the golf balls go. Is this space big enough to also install one of those covers to keep rain out.
Yes it is! FWIW, a CD player is fairly useless in a golf cart.

kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Cecilt
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the tips. I actually think I am going to try to do this myself. However I am electrically challenged so not sure about that aspect.

I have a dremel and don't mind trimming to fit the radio in the golf ball holder. Question though is does it just slide in or do you need some sort of mounting bracket to keep it from falling out?

Second, does the stereo come with all the wiring for the speakers and hooking it up to a marine battery? Here is the stereo and speaker kit I might purchase. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ze1CAfY...e-Package.html

Any thoughts on this unit. Any tips on hooking the radio up to a battery?

Third, we use the cart sparingly as stated. At ocean lakes a few weeks a year. Do you recommend a marine battery or reducer. If a battery what type and size. Looking in the battery compartment I can not fit another battery the same size that are being used so if it is the same size I guess the reducer is the best option.

Lastly, what type of antenna do you recommend. I can't go with one that sticks on top The roof as it is already tight getting it in my basement. Thanks everyone.
Cecilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I trimmed the top lip of mine with a hacksaw blade pinched between my fingers. The plastic is soft and cuts easily. Doing it by hand lessens the chance of err. Put you finger in the top of the ball holder. Feel that tab hanging down? There is a lower part delineated by a formed crease. Cut off that bottom half. The only thing holding my head unit in is the tight fit I made by leaving the upper half still attatched to the dash. Now, cut the back off the ball holder and check the fit. Use a wood rasp for fine tuning the hole.

You will need a roll of speaker wire and enough supply wire to get to your battery and back. I put a rocker switch on the dash to take the place of an automobile's ignition lead. Check the audio aisle of an average department store and you will find gold plated terminal attachments for battery posts. Slacker punks with obnoxious ten-thousand dollar bass heavy stereos in their rotted $500 Civics use them to tap amplifiers off the battery. Grab a pair. They make adding additional accessories a breeze.

The rest is following hookup instructions. It isn't easy or fun if your front cowl is still in place, but it can be done.

Before you start with the stereo, do this:
Figure out how your cupholder comes out and shave off the mounting tabs. It will fit snuggly back in its holder without them. For as often as you will need to remove this piece, shaving the tabs is a well-spent ten minutes.

I use a generic rubber whip antenna. I mounted it on a conduit hanger. When you put the cart away, fold it down. No problem. My battery is a starting battery left over from a rotbox I sent to the wrecking yard after its last dying gasp. If you're pressed for space, use a 12v motorcycle cell. Keep a maintainer on it and watch the water level.

Last edited by kab69440; 05-30-2012 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: Additional blather and photo link
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
curly33333
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Good choice in head unit and speakers. The USB and Aux ports is a great feature that will allow an ipod or mp3 to charge and play at the same time. This unit may also play music files from a USB flashdrive which is very convenient. The speaker pods look good but have never installed one first hand.

Head units have 3 power wires to hook up one will be a memory wire that will enable the unit to remember stations and settings. This will drain down a battery within weeks. Therefore you can hook this up to drain battery's or hook it up with the main wire to a toggle switch like kab said.

The voltage reducer is the way to go. I do not recommend anything 12v to be hooked up any other way on the carts battery pack, lights,radio,etc....
or
I actually bought a cheap $20 lawn mower battery and a 12v charger and fit them on under the driver side. It supplied lights,stereo,180w amp,etc. good enough for me. I would charge it everytime I charged the cart and it worked fine.
FYI I was able to fit 2 8"bazooka tubes in the carts bag well and they slammed. Good luck and reply with pics of install.
curly33333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO