lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default PowerWise QE Timing out with fault code.

I have a 2005 36v ezgo txt series cart and the last few times I have charged the charger never goes green when fully charged. It seems to charge for a while, over 12 hours but not exactly how long, then flashes red three times. From what I could find, this means that the charger has timed out because it was taking too long to fully charge the batteries. While charging, the batteries are also getting very warm, almost hot. It also seems as if while the charger is flashing this fault code that it is still charging. They have plenty of water in them. 8 hours after taking off charge the pack voltage read 38.0v and the batteries individual were

Let me know if any more info will be helpful or if I need to take a reading after a little while longer. Thanks.
Bmatlock00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: PowerWise QE Timing out with fault code.

I just brought the cart to my dads, he has an older ezgo with the bigger power wise charger, gonna see what it does
Old 06-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The pack voltage and individual voltages are a bit low for 8 hours after charger turns off, so either the batteries are old or the charger is sick.

Charge them with you Dad's Powerwise and check the voltages at 8 hours again.
(12 hour is what the SoC charts call for, but 8 hours is what was used in your original post, so you can compare apples to apples)

Should be 38.2V or higher for pack and 6.37V or high individually.
Optimally, the spread between highest and lowest should be less than 0.1V.

If you have a Peak Hold or Min/Max Hold type DVM, the cut-off voltage for both chargers is in the 44V-46V range, so if it doesn't reach that, the batteries are sick.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I bought a 100amp load tester and each battery tested good, does this mean all batteries are good or can a load test give false readings?
Old 06-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the load tester is designed for deep cycle batteries, good might mean good.
If the load tester is designed for car batteries, I have no idea what the readings mean.

If you charged the batteries on your dad's old Powerwise, what are the voltage readings 8-12 hours after it automatically turns off, if it turns off?

The original problem stated was that the QE was timing out.
That means the pack voltage doesn't climb into the 44V to 46V range while on charge, or the QE charger doesn't sense it doing so.
Either the QE charger or battery pack is bad.

If the pack charges normally on a known good charger (IE: your dad's Powerwise) the QE charger is bad.
If you dad's charger doesn't shut off automatically either, the battery pack is bad.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO