lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Tomfl
Not Yet Wild

Default 36v Club Car with charger, what's it worth?

I have an opportunity to buy a 36v electric club car with a charger but the batteries are dead, so no way to really run it and see what kinda shape it's in mechanically/electrically.

Overall the cart looks well maintained and appears nice. I guess the owner doesn't want to mess with it.

He's asking $375.... is it worth it?

What kind of $$ could it take to get it up and running if all it needs are batteries?

Anything I should be on the lookout for when making the deal?

-T
Tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 36v Club Car with charger, what's it worth?

Well, a set of batteries from Sam's Club or similar would run about $80.00 a battery (6volt X 6), and then at least a set of 4 gauge battery cables would be good insurance not to blow the battery posts off of a new battery (cable prices vary, but let's assume around $40.00).

If nothing else was wrong, you're looking at between $500 and $600 to get it going.

With the asking price being pretty low, you would have less than $1,000 in it to start. HOWEVER, you will soon be spending money on it like the rest of us!
Xact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Melonbuster
Not Yet Wild

$375--the charger should be worth roughly half that or more and the aluminum and other metals would add up nicely at the scrap yard. That is if you decide to not fix it. You didn't mention year model and I know someone will ask
Melonbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

What's the year?
Check to see the drive system. Series, resistor, etc
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
Tomfl
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
What's the year?
Check to see the drive system. Series, resistor, etc
Not sure what year... any years to avoid?

My mechanical background is great, electrical not so good...give a brother some pointers on what to look for on it!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

A resistor cart is extremely inefficient. If I was to buy a resistor cart, I would convert it to series with a kit (like Scottby's). Just look to see if there are coils near the motor under the seat.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomfl View Post
Not sure what year... any years to avoid?

My mechanical background is great, electrical not so good...give a brother some pointers on what to look for on it!
Go here and print out or write down the info Roady posted about finding the year of the cart. The sticker you will need to look for to get the information you will need is located just under the passenger side dash opening.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...olf-carts.html

As for the best way to find out if it's a controller or resistor cart, look behind the batteries. If there are a line of solenoids with coiled wires attached to them located there, it is a resistor cart.

Basically, everything from the 80's and before will be a resistor cart unless it has been converted already. As far as I know, it was sometime in the 90's that everything started changing to the controller electrical system.

For the price of the cart, I would see if I could beg / borrow / steal 3 boat batteries (FULLY charged car batteries will work in a pinch) to make a test battery pack and see if the cart moves under power. If it does, and the cart is in decent shape, I would buy it even if it is a resistor cart and would upgrade it to a controller setup later.

If you need to know how to wire up the test batteries, just yell and I'll help.

As far as the price of the batteries, the best thing I can tell you is to get out the phone book for your area and start calling places that sell golf cart batteries. Prices vary from place to place, but don't forget that Sams Club and WalMart (in limited areas only) also carry batteries for Golf Carts. Just stay away from reconditioned batteries, they'll work for the short term but you will be replacing them in a year or two.

-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
Tomfl
Not Yet Wild

Guys, you rock! Will post up what I find and whether or not I drag it home.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
buickman
Not Yet Wild

Scott,
Just purchased a 99 CC regen with dead batteries. I'd like to see the 3-12v car battery wiring hook-up. This way I can see if the cart is worth rebuilding to 48v system.
Thanks so much,

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman View Post
Scott,
Just purchased a 99 CC regen with dead batteries. I'd like to see the 3-12v car battery wiring hook-up. This way I can see if the cart is worth rebuilding to 48v system.
Thanks so much,

buickman

I don't have pictures of the setup right now, but it's simple to wire up.

+ Positive from the cart to + positive of the first battery.

- Negative of the first battery to + positive of the second battery.

- Negative of the second battery to + positive of the third battery.

- Negative of the third battery to - negative of the cart.

I usually use the battery cables on the cart to connect my boat batteries to each other for testing. Just take some notes (and a few pictures if you can) of where all the wires are before you start pulling the old batteries if everything is still hooked up. That way you'll know where everything goes when you start putting it all back together once again.

I hope this helps,
-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car