lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default 1981 G1 Undoing modifications ...

Ok, where do I start? My 1981 G1 has been modified by PO(s), and it takes a lot of RPM to get the clutch to engage. When it does engage, I get a hard jump as it starts to move. Before I try to solve that problem, I thought I'd try to return the governor (and some of the mess) to it's original state, and then start troubleshooting.

Pic one is looking down at the clutch. There seems to be a lot of slack, as evidenced by the belt resting inside with space between it and the outer clutch wheel (white circle). Can it be adjusted, or is it ok?

Pic two - I don't know where to start . The circles are around the wire and what appears to be sheet metal covering over the attach points. Is that right or are those the stock attachment coverings? What should I do to clean this up?

Pic three is the speed limiter arm with the rounded out hole around the slotted connector on the governor shaft. Can it be fixed, or do I need to find another governor arm?

Thanks for any help guys, and forgive me if I haven't used the correct nomenclature ... still learning.

Ogre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0528.jpg (122.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0530.jpg (148.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0531.jpg (109.6 KB, 0 views)
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1981 G1 Undoing modifications ...

#1 not that bad
#2 home made retainer clips it works
#3 you could take fender washer file it square and have it welded on the arm.
I am a cheap redneck.

The hard launch could be a sticky clutch. Can you push it in by hand?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
#1 not that bad
#2 home made retainer clips it works
#3 you could take fender washer file it square and have it welded on the arm.
I am a cheap redneck.

The hard launch could be a sticky clutch. Can you push it in by hand?
Thanks DOOmsman.

#1 - ok, just wondering ...
#2 - what should go in place of the wire? Small screw and nut?
#3 - I like the fender washer and I'll mig it ... where should the arm point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOsman
I am a cheap redneck.
Me too! That's why I like the fender washer shortcut.

Yes I can push it. I can get it to idle, but have to get to high revs and hold, and the clutch slowly closes until the belt is tight, and then HANG ON!

Ogre
Old 02-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I think you need to open up the clutch and check the weights.

what should go in place of the wire? Small screw and nut? those may have had a little flip over clip like on carb throttle linkage.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
I think you need to open up the clutch and check the weights.

what should go in place of the wire? Small screw and nut? those may have had a little flip over clip like on carb throttle linkage.
Hmmm ... think I can order the clips for 1/4" ball adapter for most Q-jets! Ya think they'd work?

Open Clutch? Would that be the sheaves? I'm still learning the proper names ...

Ogre
Old 02-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Clutch issue sounds to me like: (assuming you have older style clutch)

a. Dirty parts not moving and sliding properly - take apart and clean, use very little lube on moving parts, just a small dab of grease, excess will fling all over and cause more dirt/trouble

b. Weight/weights broken - this will cause not enough pressure at low rpm for the clutch to open - you'll have to remove and replace the broken parts or all

c. Spring might be too stiff - this will raise engagement rpm - replace with original style spring, should be gold with no spacers/bushings used

d. Worn belt - that gap could be from an overly worn belt - I think the spec is 1 1/16 inches (check service manual)

Either way I'd take the cover off and take a look to see what you find. Before taking apart you can take a pic and post it so we can offer advice.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Slo. I haven't gotten my service manual like you suggested in the "Everything about G1s" thread, so I may have to just drive it for a while until I feel comfortable taking the clutch apart.

While I'm working in the engine bay, I am going to install a fused terminal strip by the battery as suggested by Todd and Moosin, for future expansion of electrical "stuff."

Ogre
Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
mrtbone49
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Clutch issue sounds to me like: (assuming you have older style clutch)

a. Dirty parts not moving and sliding properly - take apart and clean, use very little lube on moving parts, just a small dab of grease, excess will fling all over and cause more dirt/trouble

b. Weight/weights broken - this will cause not enough pressure at low rpm for the clutch to open - you'll have to remove and replace the broken parts or all

c. Spring might be too stiff - this will raise engagement rpm - replace with original style spring, should be gold with no spacers/bushings used

d. Worn belt - that gap could be from an overly worn belt - I think the spec is 1 1/16 inches (check service manual)

Either way I'd take the cover off and take a look to see what you find. Before taking apart you can take a pic and post it so we can offer advice.
I was amazed when I removed primary clutch an 3 pounds of dirt were crusted around magneto...Give it a good cleaning you may be suprised whats inside of it.
mrtbone49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #9
rkuchmak
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The belt new measures 1 3/16"
rkuchmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha