lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
saskie99
Not Yet Wild

Default just got a G1 and is smells hot!

Hi, guys, I am new here. I just got a G1 yamaha. I seems to run really nice but a after a few minutes is start to smell hot. it did have old fuel in it and I added octane boast and about 12 bucks worth of new gas. This cart has not run hardly in the last 3 years. I did add a little oil to the gas as I was concerned it was not getting any oil. It dosent loose power and starts fine after it is hot. I am just concerned that i dont cook the engine. I did notice oil around the tail pipe and have read that the muffler could be a little clogged with old oil. I have read of muffler bbq and also of running it hard to get it good and hot to remove the build up. Anyway I drove it for about a mile and drove it pretty hard and i just dont want to burn it up. Any advice of hints would be great!
saskie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: just got a G1 and is smells hot!

You're on the right track with the muffler. Are the plastic shrouds still on the motor?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
Are the plastic shrouds still on the motor?
that could be it, if they are, and all muded up
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
saskie99
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
You're on the right track with the muffler. Are the plastic shrouds still on the motor?

yes they are, am I to take them off? I did crank the governor screw in to make it go a little bit faster
Old 06-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
saskie99
Not Yet Wild

if the muff was full of old oil would it have the "hot" smell? The engine does not seem hot, obviously the the muff is hot but i cant tell where it is coming from.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Keep the shrouds in place. That's how the engine stays cool. Just keep the crud out of them.
If the muffler has excessive oil in it, you have not even scratched the surface. Take it for a long ride at mid-to-higher rpms so it heats up pretty good. When you get back, you'll be killing every mesquito around. 1 mile is not a long ride.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
saskie99
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: just got a G1 and is smells hot!

I will take it for a good long ride this weekend. All I am concerned about it ruining the engine if that is not the problem.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you're not sure it's getting proper oil, just go ahead and disconnect the oil injector, or let it run empty, and premix your fuel. The manual says the oil injector mixes at 150:1 so I use 85:1 to be on the safe side. Some guys use 50:1 but I think that's too much oil.

Once you know you have oil in the gas, then take it on that long ride. You'll burn up that oil in no time. It's gonna get smoky!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
saskie99
Not Yet Wild

Talking Re: just got a G1 and is smells hot!

I haven't been able to fond out how to disconnect the govener. I have tightened the screw up on the spring but is there a way to by pass it totally?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
PartTime
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's athought, watch your rpms when runnin wide open. Don't wanna go over limit, and blow something. I know on my ezgo, they say rpms iz 5k, but 47krpms is safer. I just bought a tach. for $15 bux. Just a idea.
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha