lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
zhall822
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default g1 not starting

My g1 was starting and running but very sluggish from a stop. Sometimes not even able to start on an incline and would bog down going over hills like rr crossings and such. It did go pretty fast (22mph on the gps spedometer). the motor had black stuff all over the motor behind the clutch and pully so figured something was leaking and that was what was wrong with it. I have another g1 engine that I pulled from another cart but never had it running because the electrical system didn't work. I switched the motors hoping i would get lucky and it would run really good. It took a really long time to start and ran crappy. It was slow and had less power than the original motor. I found really good info on here about replacing the oil seals. Anyway I took the oil pump cover off the first motor. There were thin little pieces of what i think is the seal inside. I'm gonna get a new clutch side seal. should I replace the fan side also since it's inexpensive and I have the motor out?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/pictu...ictureid=18748

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/pictu...ictureid=18747
zhall822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: g1 not starting

Yes replace both seals. The fan side seal is the "easy one" anyway.

When you pull off the fan and the flywheel, be sure to make a witness mark on the timing plate so you can reinstall it and still be in time. Your fan side seal will be right underneath that plate.

I have a great tutorial for changing out the crankshaft seals (I cannot remember where I got it???). It is in a Word Format (with good pictures). I can email it to you if you PM me your email address.
sontag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here are a couple pictures of the seals. I cannot remember where I got these pictures or I would give the author credit.

First is the Clutch side seal. It is behind the oil pump.

Second is the Fan side seal. It is behind the coil.
Make sure you mark that coil so you can put it back correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutch side seal.jpg (98.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Fan Side Seal.jpg (61.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
zhall822
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Can you advance the timing to make it faster or something?
Old 07-31-2013, 05:26 AM   #5
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You can advance it 2 degrees. You get higher rpm on forward but loose the same amount in reverse.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
kerry38
Not Yet Wild

Hey sontag I would like to have that tutorial but I just signed up and dont have pm privileges yet. Can you pm me? If not I will try to hit you when I get accepted. Thanks.
kerry38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It looks like I cannot PM you either. When you can PM, shoot me your email address and I will be glad to send you the information.

Check out this link and it should have the info you are looking for: Clutch and Fan seal replacement.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...tml#post840655
Old 08-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
zhall822
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Sontag, awesome directions & info. I will get after it as soon as I get the new seals. Hope it runs better when I'm done. Anything else I should check or replace while I've got the motor out?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Man, I just know a little bit. Hopefully a cart guru will chime in.

I would start out by reading all the stickies at the top of the Gas Yamaha section, and reading the Engine Overhaul section of the SM I sent you. It will have all the specs on your engine.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha