lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #11
DIRTPIT HC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 99 ds v-glide bypass

Try ScottyB / Cartsunlimited.net for the parts you need
DIRTPIT HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #12
criegg
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
The way I understand it, the bypass would be a separate (heavy duty?) solenoid that is actuated by the last contact on the v-glide. This contact essentially becomes just a 36 volt switch. The full speed voltage would come from the solenoid instead of the v-glide.
And this accomplishes what? Less amperage going through the v glide and more amperage through the solenoid? So in turn puts less strain on the v glide and less of a chance of burning it up? If so, wouldn't the solenoid need to be on the 1-4 resistors as it's not at full throttle and more of a chance of burning the v glide up?

Does that make sense what i'm saying?

The reason my v glide burns up with big tires is because of the strain put on it at anything except full throttle.. So if the bypass is at full throttle, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose.. Or am I way off here? Appreciate the insight guys!
criegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #13
Bill R
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Pretty much all of the amerage would go through the solenoid and very little through the v-glide with the bypass.

The pedal has to be kept to the floor when climbing hills (this holds true in all v-glide scenarios). High speed is used for the bypass because it is the only v-glide contact that doesn't go through the resistors (resistors = even more heat). We don't have a heat issue on the flats.
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #14
criegg
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks Bill!! That clears it up for me.. So all that is needed is the actual bypass solenoid and a few 6 gauge wires then if i'm reading that correctly
criegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #15
Bill R
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I am upgrading to 4 gauge on everything but the v-glide.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #16
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

So the only downside is that you have only high speed (WOT) with the bypass?
MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #17
Bill R
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

All speeds are still available. The speeds other than fast still follow their normal circuit through the resistors and to the motor. You can still damage your components if you "load up" the motor and use speeds other than fast. The bypass is only giving us the ability to climb this long hunting hill using full speed without generating the type of heat that will damage components (v-glide). Even with the bypass, if we were to try to climb that hill using a speed other than full speed we would surely have a meltdown somewhere under the seat. The bypass works, but it is not the "fix", if you know what I mean.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #18
Bill R
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I guess I spoke too soon. We took a trip up the hill last week and burned up the v-glide. Then came the walk of shame all the way back down the hill. A controller conversion package will be ordered up from Scotty next week. He has been a great help.
Decided to go with his c54 package.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #19
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

If it is "bypassed" , how would it burn up?
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:38 AM   #20
scotter
Gone Wild

Club Car

BillR - What component in the v-glide actually melted? Could you post a picture or two? The bypass is not the panacea, to be sure, but would have thought it would have performed better than it did. Are you running bigger tires/wheels? Was the wiper arm adjusted correctly? Just trying to learn something from your "lesson". Thanks.
scotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car