lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
BHTtech
Not Yet Wild

Default 81 ezgo 2stroke carb issues

OK I'm back. I got some lookers but no answers yet. I've checked the compression and got 125, could the seals still be bad ? I've also removed the muffler and it had some parts rattlin inside so went straight pipe with mower muffler stuffed in exit end. it seems to run better but not smooth at higher rpm. I took pipe off and checked exhaust port and it looked ok. the plug is burning clean, no fouling. still seems to be starving for fuel. any help is welcomed. thanks
BHTtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
99cobra2881
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 81 ezgo 2stroke carb issues

Compression test won't show blown crank case seals.

Easy crank shaft seal test.

Remove intake tube and exhaust. Cover both openings with duct tape.

Remove fuel pump.

Use a mityvac or similar device to pull a slight vacuum on the engine block through the fuel pump vacuum port.

It should hold a vacuum. Bad crank seals will show themselves through no vacuum being held and you'll be able to hear the air leaking in to the engine block past the seal or seals.

My recently rebuilt 2pg popped a front crank shaft seal and I used this method to diagnose the blown seal. Compression test showed 130psi. So I thought the fuel pump had quit and I used the vacuum pump to check the diaphragm inside the fuel pump. The fuel pump checked good so I knew I was fighting another issue.

I couldn't hear the leak over the sound of the engine cranking but the mityvac showed the leak instantly. New seal is loctited in place and is the cart is running good.
99cobra2881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #3
BHTtech
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 81 ezgo 2stroke carb issues

99cobra2881: thanks for the input. I don't have the vac tester so, I think I'll just plan on replacing the seals to eliminate that. It seems to run out of fuel when revving up so I'm thinking it doesn't have enough suction to pull the fuel in for higher revs. I tried running in reverse but it's about the same. I'm sure the carb is clean so seals could be the answer. I'm guessing that the seals fit several models so shouldn't be hard to find and I saw several posts than mentioned putting sealer around outside of seals. thanks for your help!
BHTtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO