lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2017, 05:05 PM   #1
1946J3Cub
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 owner wannabe

I'm totally new to Buggies Gone Wild, having just joined. Am looking to pick up a gas-powered cart to keep at my airplane hangar as well as to take to Oshkosh, Wisconsin every summer for camping at the aviation event. Rented one at Oshkosh last summer and what an improvement over walking/bike riding.

I like older stuff and like to tinker; old houses, cars, bikes and planes. I do know which end of a wrench to wield but am no master mechanic by any stretch. But I am retired, patient and willing to learn. I even know a great deal more about golf carts now than I did a week ago when I began my search, ha ha.

Something about the two-stroke carts intrigues me. Drove SAABs for many years but never had a two-stroke 3cyl one and always thought it'd be neat albeit very impractical to own one seeing as how they are 60s vintage. That said, a two-stroke powered cart might scratch my two-stroke vehicle itch.

It's likely an apples and oranges question but, all else being equal, should one begin their quest looking for a two-stroke Yamaha or a two-stroke EzGo? Are they equally reliable, dependable, maintainable, restorable etc. For some reason I'm drawn to the Yamaha G1. But, if the right EzGo two-stroke came along should I consider it or not? Or would it be better to go four-stroke and avoid any and all two-stroke hassles? I know my questions are a little convoluted but any suggestions/thoughts are welcomed.

Best Regards and Merry Christmas,

Tom
1946J3Cub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
jjastram
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: G1 owner wannabe

Welcome to Buggies Gone Wild. I have a G1 and my brother in law has an old EZGO 2 stroke 3 wheel cart. I found it easier to work on my G1 than his EZGO. My other cart is a 2001 EZGO with a Vegas Carts 460, I will be buried in that cart.
jjastram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #3
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Ill second the G1. I wasn't much of a 2 stroke guy but i love this thing. Super easy to work on and built like a tank
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:39 AM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I owned a g1 completely rebuilt it and loved it had the governor deleted and it was fast but it takes a lot of work/money to get them back up to par to make them reliable like they once were most but not all have been neglected since they are 30ish year old carts I'm a two stoke guy mainly because of snowmobiles that being said I now own a g29 and the handling and general ride of the cart is night and day difference
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:48 AM   #5
Freckles
Gone Wild

Never had a G1 or an Ezgo 2 stroke but i do have a Harley two stroke that is good for just tootling around as long as your not looking to mod one.
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have worked on (but never owned) both EZGO and Yamaha 2 strokes, and each has their own cult like following. The G1 is a bit easier to work on just by virtue of the rear body hinging open for much easier access. Most of the parts are available for either one. Particularly in the upper Midwest I would be careful about frame rust. Both Yamaha & EZGO used steel frames that can be rust prone. As mentioned earlier any of these 2 strokes are getting up there in age. Decide before you buy: are you looking for a vintage project or dependable transportation?
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Ah, a man of my own kind. I too like old things and, for whatever reason, I got into old carts as a hobby. I now own 8 and take care of a handful of others for my camp neighbors. When I worked on my first cart (an old Harley that my father in law had sitting in his garage for years) I knew nothing about it. Here I am a few years later and, though I am far from being an expert, I know my way around these things pretty well.

One thing I have found is that, for the most part, all 2 stoke motors are the same. I work on all kind of stuff with 2 stroke motors (carts, quads, lawn mowers, etc.) and they all have the same fundamentals. Typically, only ignition systems differ from machine to machine. This would include G-1s and EZ Gos. 80s era EZ Gos are actually cousins to 80s era Columbia carts of which I own 2. There are a lot of common parts between these carts.

You might as well base your decision on the amount of information that's out there, parts availability, upgrade potential, etc. The G-1 is one of the most common carts of all time. Even though these carts haven't been produced in 25 or so years there are still tons of them cruising around all campgrounds. That's testament to a well-done cart. Parts are simple to find and you can upgrade them in hundreds of ways. EZ Gos are nice carts. I have one although it's electric. Go with the G-1 though.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:20 PM   #8
hardway
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have a 4 stroke yamaha g2 and a 2 stroke ez go marathon. The four stroke is by far quieter and more pleasant ride, but the 4 stroke has a lot of mods to performance and suspension. If you want 2 cycle I would go with yamaha mainly because of after market parts. Check Plowmans site for clutches and such and you will see what I mean.
hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #9
1946J3Cub
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I am quite appreciative of the thoughtful replies and advice. It's interesting how one goes through phases and stages of life as evidenced by hobbies and acquisitions. Over time, one develops new interests and either divests themselves of "things" attached to the old interests or has stuff laying about that is no longer used. I know I'm, at 65 and retired, officially a senior citizen as evidenced by the things starting to interest me. Had I been told (when a young guy interested in MGs, motorcycles, small sailboats and hunting) there'd come a time when my idea of a "neat thing" would be a golf cart I'd have laughed.

Should the right cart come along and fit into my lifestyle that'd be nice. Meanwhile the search and research has been fun not to mention discovering the very nice people who inhabit the "golf cart world" who freely offer advice.

Best Regards,

Tom
1946J3Cub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:26 AM   #10
hardway
Gone Wild

Yamaha

"the very nice people who inhabit the "golf cart world" who freely offer advice."

You will find our "freely offered advice" can cost you money once you truly get addicted.
hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha