lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
twobore
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default What oil is best for the Yamaha G1 engine?

Having just finished the overhaul of my Yami G1 engine, I'm trying to wade through the mysteries of the 2-cycle oils available. The 35 year old service manual says: "Use Yamalube Golf Car oil or, if not available, any two stroke oil that is B.I.A. certified for service T.C.W." After much on line searching I find that B.I.A stands for "Boating Industry Association". I can't find the meaning of T.C.W. but suspect it is a quality rating of some kind.

Yamalube is offered in 5 different 2 cycle blends. As best as I can figure, I'm guessing Yamalube 2-cycle TCW3 Engine Oil is the current day substitute for the original Yamalube Oil but am not sure. I would like to use either the current appropriate Yamalube oil or a competitive high quality equivalent. I plan to mix a gallon or so of oil and gas initially while I am making sure the oil pump is working and then switch back over to the oil injection system. My questions are:

1. Which current 2-cycle brand do you G1 owners use and recommend for this engine?
2. What do you feel would be a proper ratio of oil to gas during initial start up?

Thank you,

Twobore
twobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2016, 04:36 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: What oil is best for the Yamaha G1 engine?

The G1 cart runs a really low amount of oil like 100:1 or less, the less when at low throttles. So if you mix say 80:1 you will have plenty of oil, I would not mix it stronger than that, it should smoke some. It may take a while to purge the injection system check the manual.

Since you just rebuilt it some run more oil to start it, maybe couple gallons of 40:1 at first, but today bearing sizes are more exact so I don't see as much a need but you can if you want, like I said it runs very high ratio normally, less oil than most 2 strokes.

Far as quality oil yamalube is good stuff, so is boat oil. If you want really good oil use the synthetic or even a blend. The important part of the boat oil is how it is for injection systems, the viscosity is controlled better so you get the right amount. It can be thinner than cheap oils. In my performance boats I ran pennz synthetic only it was recommended as one of the best and most available to me (walmart). The boat I have now is not high performance so I don't worry about it but always run a tcw3 boat spec oil often the walmart tech4 brand, which burns much cleaner in my other 2 stroke equipment like weed eaters and such and its cheap. Since the G1 is not exactly a hipo stressed engine I would not worry about the best oil if you don't want to, but it should be a rated oil because its injection and again it seems to make less smoke in anything I run it in. If you want to be really cool get a bottle of bean oil like klotz benol or catrol R, put a little in there it has a smell you wont miss. I'd put it in the fuel not the injection, you don't need much either.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I deleted my oil injection system and ran 80:1 first tank and back to 100:1 after that I wouldn't go anythicker than 80:1 especially if you have oil injection hooked up
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
twobore
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks sho305 and Spicyunicorn for your responses;

Would yu please tell me what oil you use in your G1 (brand and type)? Most manufacturers have 4 or 5 different 2-cycle oil formulations. Really confusing. Yamalube, for instance has W1-104, 2-W, TWC-3, and 2-S, all are 2-stroke oils and all called Yamalube. Other makes are equally hard to figure out.

Thanks,

Twobore
twobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

https://www.sinclairoil.com/sites/de...gine%20Oil.pdf

iv ran this for two years now cost isn't bad and its readily available to me any quality brand 2 stroke oil is fine only thing i recommend is when you start using a type of oil stick with it so your aren't mixing brands
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha