lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
Stevegonza24
Not Yet Wild

Default Losing spark

Hey guys I have a Yamaha G2 gas golf cart that has an odd problem with spark. When I first turn over the motor I have spark then I lose it. I have checked all the connections thoroughly replace battery cables terminals and connections for generator. Check the fuses and voltages on red/white and Orange cable going to coil getting roughly 10 V. Any help would be awesome I appreciate it.
Stevegonza24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #2
Stevegonza24
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Losing spark

Bump any one have a idea where to start
Old 04-11-2017, 07:51 PM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Check connection coming out of ignitor for corroded terminals
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
Wolverine
Not Yet Wild

Does the engine actually fire up and run for a bit? Have you tried hooking up jumper cables to another battery and see if that changes anything? Have you checked your ground wires and made sure they are clean and tight? There are multiple reasons why you may not be getting or losing spark. I would isolate some of the free ones first. I know u cleaned your terminals, but a bad battery could cause this.
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:35 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I have done a ton of work on older Columbias and only recently got a G1 that I am learning about. Normally, I wouldn't say much about a G2 but your issue exactly mimics what happens when an ignition module in a late-80s Columbia goes bad. You get one or two sparks and that's it. Once you get off the accelerator and get back on it you get one or two more sparks again. The process repeats over and over with the spark never sustaining.

The ignition module on the Columbias serve the same purpose as CDIs on other motors with the only difference being that modules use removable magnets on the end of the crank for a trigger rather than permanent magnets on a flywheel.

Your CDI might be bad but these other guys know more about these than I do so you may want to wait until they add their thoughts.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:42 AM   #6
Stevegonza24
Not Yet Wild

Thanks wolverine, the motor never fires up. I only get spark for the first rotation of the motor. I tried another battery and getting the same results. I just went they the whole wiring and grounds again. Can someone verify the coil is wired correct in the attached picture. I got the cart with the wires cut at the ends and want to make sure it's right thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1126.jpg (128.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-12-2017, 08:45 AM   #7
Stevegonza24
Not Yet Wild

Lochlin thats exactly what I'm running into. Do you know of any way to test the igniter?
Old 04-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #8
Wolverine
Not Yet Wild

Can u take a more broad picture of your motor? That coil looks funny to me
Old 04-12-2017, 09:19 AM   #9
Wolverine
Not Yet Wild

i would make sure you have the proper coil for that cart, my g2 coil does not look like that. I am not saying that's the problem. If you purchased the cart with the wires cut, that kinda tells me somebody was replacing something they may have known nothing about. You can buy lots of different 12v coils on the web, but who knows if it will work for your cart. I would do some checking on that coil, and then find a wiring diagram to make sure it's right. The coil packs aren't terribly expensive.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #10
Stevegonza24
Not Yet Wild

Hey Wolverine thanks for the quick reply. I'm not home right now to take a picture but this is what my coil looks like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1127.jpg (38.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha