lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2017, 06:02 PM   #1
Jason E
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Battery isn’t charging on 09 precedent

Me again....... so I’m having an ongoing issue with my carts battery dying. The joker I bought it from is saying it’s the voltage regulator. Supposedly it has a new/reman starter/generator. He says the Club Car dealer says that 99% of the time this issue is caused by the voltage regulator. Anybody have any thoughts on this? FYI.....the solenoid makes a buzzing/clicking sound but I’m assuming that’s because the battery is dead.
Jason E is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #2
Jason E
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Battery isn’t charging on 09 precedent

Also, anybody know what type of battery is best for this cart? The summer I bought it from has an Everstart marine 24MS 12 volt in it now. It seems too big to me
Old 11-07-2017, 06:23 PM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

As long as battery fits and isn't rattling around in the holder you can't really have to big of a battery ..chsrge the battery so cart will start.with cart in maintenance mode put a meter on battery terminals and run it up to governed speed it should read 14-15ish volts if it doesn't move there is a problem with either voltage regulator or starter generator To check charging system unhook the df wire coming out of starter generator I believe it's yellow in color now run a jumper wire from negative terminal on battery to the yellow wire going into starter with volt meter on battery post run cart up to governed speed it should read around 17 volts if it does not she is still reading around twelve volts it's the starter generator if it reads around 17 the voltage regulator is bad if all this checks out it may just be a bad battery
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #4
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
As long as battery fits and isn't rattling around in the holder you can't really have to big of a battery

You can have too big of a battery, it then rubs against the air filter box and rubs a hole in it and then the cart runs like crap, been there done that with the dorks that don't put the right battery in the cart
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

A group 75 automotive battery would be your best bet!

Marine batteries have a longer charge/discharge rate than automotive batteries,
If your doing a lot of stopping and starting, (rather then long runs) the marine battery may not be getting a decent charge.
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:00 AM   #6
Jason E
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
A group 75 automotive battery would be your best bet!

Marine batteries have a longer charge/discharge rate than automotive batteries,
If your doing a lot of stopping and starting, (rather then long runs) the marine battery may not be getting a decent charge.
Thanks again Lockman. It seems you are my golf cart guru/mentor.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:02 AM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Nah... I just know my cart! (and a few other gas CC's!)
Old 11-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #8
Jason E
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
As long as battery fits and isn't rattling around in the holder you can't really have to big of a battery ..chsrge the battery so cart will start.with cart in maintenance mode put a meter on battery terminals and run it up to governed speed it should read 14-15ish volts if it doesn't move there is a problem with either voltage regulator or starter generator To check charging system unhook the df wire coming out of starter generator I believe it's yellow in color now run a jumper wire from negative terminal on battery to the yellow wire going into starter with volt meter on battery post run cart up to governed speed it should read around 17 volts if it does not she is still reading around twelve volts it's the starter generator if it reads around 17 the voltage regulator is bad if all this checks out it may just be a bad battery
Thanks Spicy. One quick question..... what is the df wire?
Old 11-08-2017, 08:09 AM   #9
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

The DF post is marked on the Starter Generator, with a yellow cable hooked to it as spicy said,

Note... obviously disconnect the battery... and use 2 wrenches to loosen the nut!
Old 11-08-2017, 08:25 AM   #10
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
You can have too big of a battery, it then rubs against the air filter box and rubs a hole in it and then the cart runs like crap, been there done that with the dorks that don't put the right battery in the cart
Key word FIT obviously if it's rubbing on the air filter box it doesn't FIT personally I'd rather have a bigger battery that FITS than a small battery like say a lawn mower battery yes they work but tend to not last as long
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car