lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
eebasist
Not Yet Wild

Default Net to me Yamaha smokes but has 150PSI compression?

Just picked up my first golf cart today. Its a 1992 yamaha G8 (basically a G2/G9 with a slightly different body).

Well she smokes like a freight train.

To start it I have to basically close off the intake to the carb to get it to fire. It will also run only while being choked.

I assumed at first that it would be a classic case of rings. But I checked compression and I get a healthy 150psi after letting it sit for 4 hours. The piston is stamped/written on as 0.50 over so she must have been rebuilt in the past. Oil is definitely in the cylinder (plug black and compression tester had oil on it when removed.

I took some pictures, there is a 1" pipe that looks to go to the crankcase that isn't connect to anything (no airbox on). The carb has a simple elbow attached, and there is a nipple at the top of the valve cover that is vented to the atmosphere.

The engine does look to have a "healthy" coating over a lot of it. The PO says he put new valve seals in to try and fix the smoke but it didn't work.

Oil level is 1qt exactly so not overfull.

I bought a .pdf manual to help me tear it apart, but want an opinion on where/what to look at?

Last edited by eebasist; 04-18-2009 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: More Info
eebasist is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Net to me Yamaha smokes but has 150PSI compression?

The cart needs the air box to run properly. If it gets to much air it will run better with choke pulled.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
eebasist
Not Yet Wild

Cool.

Airbox is now connected (man the airbox is pretty shot/cracked up).

So she runs now without the choke applied.

But the blue smoke persists. There is a nipple on the airbox that goes nowhere right now.

Anyone know where the crankcase tube should be routed? Any other thoughts on the freight train oil smoke?
Old 04-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Net to me Yamaha smokes but has 150PSI compression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eebasist View Post
Cool.

Airbox is now connected (man the airbox is pretty shot/cracked up).

So she runs now without the choke applied.

But the blue smoke persists. There is a nipple on the airbox that goes nowhere right now.

Anyone know where the crankcase tube should be routed? Any other thoughts on the freight train oil smoke?
I dunno fer sure, but if the compression is good, you probably have valve seal/guide issues.
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
eebasist
Not Yet Wild

Yeah, since the last guy tried to replace the seals/guides I'm probably leaning that way.....any way to tell that by pulling the head off?

Anyone know what the nipple on the valve cover should go to? Right now its dumping to atmosphere, if thats fine I'd rather put a filter on it.

On the airbox, does anyone have any luck running an aftermarket airbox, like a unifilter or KN, since my box is pretty much shot.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

THe nipple on the valve cover goes to the nipple on the airbox.
You can add a kn filter but will have to rejet or drill the jet out. The New guy I think knows the KN part # and what size drill bit needed to drill the jet out.

It could be oil left in the muffler that hasn't burned out yet.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig tn View Post
THe nipple on the valve cover goes to the nipple on the airbox.
You can add a kn filter but will have to rejet or drill the jet out. The New guy I think knows the KN part # and what size drill bit needed to drill the jet out.

It could be oil left in the muffler that hasn't burned out yet.
Good point... I also like all the nipple talk.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
eebasist
Not Yet Wild

LOL....nipple talk.

I'll route that nipple to the other nipple on the airbox.

As for the oil in the muffler....I'm highly doubting that since the plug is getting fouled, and when I put the compression tester in, it came out with some oil on it.

I suppose I can run her as is and monitor the oil useage but my neighbors might not like that too much.....she is destined to a summer of pulling a lawn mower till I can have some real fun with her in the winter once my garage gets built and more projects ensue....I miss my last project in AZ (Kawasaki mule).
Old 04-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #9
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by eebasist View Post
LOL....nipple talk.

I'll route that nipple to the other nipple on the airbox.

As for the oil in the muffler....I'm highly doubting that since the plug is getting fouled, and when I put the compression tester in, it came out with some oil on it.

I suppose I can run her as is and monitor the oil useage but my neighbors might not like that too much.....she is destined to a summer of pulling a lawn mower till I can have some real fun with her in the winter once my garage gets built and more projects ensue....I miss my last project in AZ (Kawasaki mule).
Yeah, ya got a good point about the fouled plug. Is the oil thin and gassy?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

2 for 1 cut the lawn and spray for mosquitoes!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha