lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2007, 08:56 AM   #11
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Default Re: Faster in reverse?

I think mudtrux has a Columbia ParCar. I worked on one of those this past season, but never had to mess with the charging system.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2007, 09:44 AM   #12
mb523
Peanut

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tew45 View Post
You may be right but I am still not convinced for mine ran faster in reverse when it had a brand new top end and still does and it has no more than two tanks of gas ran through it. Wear must be rapid! And I still think the charging circuit is out when in reverse. I will try to confirm this week and report.
I just realized you have a Harley Cart. I believe these carts do not charge in reverse. I remember reading it somewhere on another forum. Sorry for the mix up!

In your case mudtrux, I would do the compression test in forward and reverse to rule that out. Chances are that since it doesn't have a gov. it was run hard and may be worn.
mb523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #13
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

You must also realize that 2 strokes wear more because of the very small amount of oil. And they are firing on every stroke and that only adds fuel to the fire, per se.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:56 PM   #14
harleymansam
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO NO NO E-Z-GO! View Post
You must also realize that 2 strokes wear more because of the very small amount of oil. And they are firing on every stroke and that only adds fuel to the fire, per se.
and that means more POWER
harleymansam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:45 PM   #15
mudtrux
Gone Wild

Columbia

Well I installed a permanent volt meter today and found it charges in reverse also. So there goes my nitro theory
mudtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:08 AM   #16
ruredy
Born Wild

If I remember right you can adjust the timming on the columbia/par car/harley engine so it will run faster in reverse or forward. Its basicaly a trade off in timming advance as to which direction you want it to run faster. Other than that the cylinder/piston will wear different as to which direction the engine is spinning as pointed out before.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #17
mudtrux
Gone Wild

Columbia

Any one know if this is a points ign and how many years this engine was used?
Mines a '88 and I found someone with a engine kit for sale but they thought there's was a 83-85. Thanks for all the replys
mudtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:49 PM   #18
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Timing may be the answer to the run faster in reverse. I still will check out the charging system on my HD and even the timing. It is raining and 50 degrees and I will have to work on it outside but I will do it this week. I asked a technical answer golf cart site about the run faster in reverse thing. These people were supposed to know all about these engines. Their answer was: your rings are broken and the cylinder is worn out the whole top end must be replaced.. Well mine is new and I knew this was BS so I am more determined to find the true reason. So far timing seems to be the best reason. I was sure the charging system was the cause. Maybe not! I will stay on this.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #19
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Well it stopped raining and warmed up to a working temp (70 degrees) and I had to replace a bad point capacitor so while I was there I lifted a rear wheel and put my test meter across the battery and the results were. In reverse the battery voltage was 12 volts DC and in forward the voltage was as high as 13.5 volts DC. Meaning the charging circuit was not enabled in reverse therefore lower load in reverse. I still don't know why there is 5 pounds different in compression from forward to reverse.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #20
mb523
Peanut

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tew45 View Post
Well it stopped raining and warmed up to a working temp (70 degrees) and I had to replace a bad point capacitor so while I was there I lifted a rear wheel and put my test meter across the battery and the results were. In reverse the battery voltage was 12 volts DC and in forward the voltage was as high as 13.5 volts DC. Meaning the charging circuit was not enabled in reverse therefore lower load in reverse. I still don't know why there is 5 pounds different in compression from forward to reverse.
Did you get a new cylinder when you rebuilt? If not, worn spots, even with new rings, can cause that.
mb523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts