lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Geronimo
Not Yet Wild

Default 3PG engages driveline right when pressing pedal?

My 1990 Marathon with a 3PG engages the drive clutch when the engine turns over at any speed. I thought that I would be able to press the pedal and get the engine idling before the rear axle "engages". If the engine is cold it is hard to get moving because it wants to roll the cart with every starter rotation.

Do I perhaps a belt that is too short, or is the rearend clutch not releasing properly. I have removed the belt and ran the engine and the clutch on the crank works properly opening and closing, but there just seems to have way to much tension in the belt system at rest.

Thanks,
Geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 3PG engages driveline right when pressing pedal?

Problem could be in you throttle cable adjustments...did it just start doing this or has it been this way since you've owned the cart?
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Geronimo
Not Yet Wild

It's always been that way. I thought that is how it should be until I saw a video of a guy starting his and the motor reving pretty good before it took off. Figured either his was loose or mine was too tight. Basically, if the motor doesn't fire up right away, I can roll the cart with every revolution of the motor with the starter. Maybe I just need to apply some brake pressure to get the belt to slip or something, but to me it just seemed like way to much friction in the design, and a battery waiting to be drained if it doesn't fire right up.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Cart parts plus sells an ezgo clutch tuning spring that will increase your engagement rpms and allow it to idle. The spring is for the 4 stroke, but if you still have the stock clutch it will still work. I have one in my 90 ezgo. You may have the wrong belt.
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Geronimo
Not Yet Wild

I have a Comet clutch and what looks like a new belt. I am going to measure the belt and see what the length is. I guess I want something around 41", correct?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
racin161
Gone Wild

It does sound like your belt is either to short or the clutch is sticking. I would go for a stock belt as this is not correct. You should be able to crank the engine with no resistance and also push it in natural when all is good. I don't have the belt size for yours so keep checking or contact a sponsor and I'm sure they can help.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

41" is correct for your cart. Does the belt set up out of the secondary clutch? if so how much, should not be more than 1/8",if more then the shim between the sheaves is missing, causing the tight belt.
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO