lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Bob @ Allis Barn
Not Yet Wild

Default Hard Starting 1989 2 stroke EZGO

Trying to save this old EZGO which I got at a good price (free)! Trying to check out major systems and decide if it is a parts cart, or it can be salvaged.

Currently trying to resolve why it is a very hard starter. It is a late 89 model based on wiring at voltage regulator.

Facts as I know them are;[LIST]
[*]Compression is 125 psig.[*]Oil injection removed and port plugged in the intake manifold. New 128:1 gas/ oil mixture. Using a gravity feed fuel tank. Not using fuel pumping for testing.[*]Carb has been clean several times. Gas/oil mix is getting into cylinder since the plug is wet after a failed attempt to start.[*]Starter generator turns over engine at good speed ( based with my experience with a 4 stroke Club Car).[*]Ignition coil resistance measurement match with the values given in service manual.[*]Wiring and grounding checked for good connections and good conductivity.[*]Spark observed when plug is out of head and lying on top of it. Also inductive time light flashes when used on plug wire.[*]When spark plug is screwed into the head and attempt made to start engine, the inductive timing light does not flash and the engine does not start.[*]However if the engine does start the timing light flashes strongly.[*]The resistance across the pulser is 144 ohms. Service manual says it should be 75 ohms.

Recommendations? ------ Pull pulser unit? Any other tests I can run on the pulser to determine if it is failing intermittently? Or will a conversion to a HEI ignitor provide a strong spark when plug is in the head?

Thanks
Bob
Bob @ Allis Barn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hard Starting 1989 2 stroke EZGO

Try a new spark plug. Perhaps there is a conductive coating on the center electrode insulator that is allowing the voltage to go to ground sometimes without jumping the gap.

If that doesn't work, then you might try the HEI conversion. I was having some strange intermittent spark issues and the HEI coil and ignition module swap cured them. Some people get 150 ohms on a working pulsar.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Bob @ Allis Barn
Not Yet Wild

Thanks kyerik. A another spark plug is a lot less work & expense than removing and buying a pulsar.

Cart came with an NGK BP5HS. I then tried an NGK BPR5ES that I had in stock. My manual says use an NGK BP5HS.

What plug have you had success with?

Thanks
Bob
Old 11-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I use the BP5HS
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Bob @ Allis Barn
Not Yet Wild

Well, I made some progress. Put muffler in a bonfire to burn out any carbon/oil inside. Had a small flame from the exhaust pipe for about five mintues.

Installed a new NGK BP5HS and carefully gapped it to 27/28 thousands.

Engine started quickly with limited choking.

kyerik, thanks for advise.

Bob
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO