lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Power Port for phone

Hey guys I have searched and cannot find a thread, I am sure there is one but I gave up.

My question is; I have a 2008 EZGO 36v cart. When I got it there was a 12v aux battery which operated a switched 12v cigarette adapter charger. The batteries were all shot so I took them out and purchased the cart batteries to get it running. Now is there a way I can hook up the power point to the regular cart batteries as I only want to charge my phone or run a gps on it I doubt that will affect my battery and I don’t want the expense of another battery that I have to rig to charge.

Thanks
flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
remac
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Power Port for phone

Yes - you can do this. But there are things to consider.
If you have 6volt batteries, you can connect to two of them to get 12volt.
Whatever you power from that 12volt connection will drain those two batteries a little faster.
A small drain like you are talking about probably won't make a difference,
but a larger drain like lights or a horn will, and that will stress your batteries.
If you need to have more power for 12volts, then you should get a converter to match your needs.
The converter will draw from the entire pack and not stress any two batteries.

Another thing to be careful about is grounding - never use the cart body for ground. Run two wires to everything.
That said, I would still use the same negative post for cart and 12volt applications.
Then just go back two batteries to tap off the positive for 12volts (double check with a voltmeter).
Sometimes the case or shell of a device is at ground voltage level
and if you use a different battery for the negative they could make a circuit.
The resulting voltage would depend on which negative post you used and how many batteries are between the two.
remac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by remac View Post
Yes - you can do this. But there are things to consider.
If you have 6volt batteries, you can connect to two of them to get 12volt.
Whatever you power from that 12volt connection will drain those two batteries a little faster.
A small drain like you are talking about probably won't make a difference,
but a larger drain like lights or a horn will, and that will stress your batteries.
If you need to have more power for 12volts, then you should get a converter to match your needs.
The converter will draw from the entire pack and not stress any two batteries.

Another thing to be careful about is grounding - never use the cart body for ground. Run two wires to everything.
That said, I would still use the same negative post for cart and 12volt applications.
Then just go back two batteries to tap off the positive for 12volts (double check with a voltmeter).
Sometimes the case or shell of a device is at ground voltage level
and if you use a different battery for the negative they could make a circuit.
The resulting voltage would depend on which negative post you used and how many batteries are between the two.
Thanks so I get this right, your saying put the neg (-) on the same ground that the controller hooks up to and then count back two batteries and hook up a positive lead to that one, correct?
Do i have to worry about the other batteries adding too much voltage because they are all connected?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
remac
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes you are right and no you don't have to worry...famous last words.
Take your digital voltmeter (I assume you have one :) ) and check the voltages.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

One thing I will add is to make sure that the outer case of your accessory outlet does not mount to a metal portion of the body. The case would normally be a return ground in a car or truck. As "remac" mentioned, you want the case isolated and a separate wire from it going to B --. You may have to solder a wire directly to the case. Some cases have a spade connector already on them.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
remac
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Also make sure that you put your low current connectors on top of the high current cables.
Then do not tighten the nuts too tight because the battery posts are really bolts set into the lead.
The lead is soft and too much torque when tightening can twist the bolt inside the lead.
That would cause a poor connection which would get hot and melt the lead.
The battery nut torque is measured in INCH-pounds not FOOT-pounds.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you both for your help.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I bought this:

It will be wired directly to my 12V accessory battery.
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I was wondering one this, my cart came from the factory with headlights, tail, horn etc. Doesn’t that already have some sort of voltage reducer to run those? If it does can’t I just go off that where ever it is to power the accessory port?
Old 03-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Most 36v txts dont have a dc/dc convertor (but prob should). Most 48v txts do have a convertor. Some rxvs do and some dont have convertor. This applies to carts with factory lights, any carts with lights installed after the assembly line build are a crap-shoot of what you may find.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO