lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2014, 12:32 AM   #11
BEEFKING69
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default Re: 86 Cushman vanster questions

Ugh that sounds like its gonna be fun :/ since you've had yours off what size axle are these? standard one inch? and is it a tapered or step down type?
BEEFKING69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #12
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

I wasn't able to find the parts list for the carburetor, but remembered that I posted it for someone else. Go to this link and you will find it. The parts with the pencil mark to the left are what I bought and replaced in my Keihin carburetor. The local forklift shop/Bobcat dealer got them for me. The price for all was about $120. No re-build kit is available. Each part needed has to be purchased separately.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-g...n-problem.html

From memory of a year ago the rear axles are about 1" and straight with a key. It took some heat, a big pneumatic impact gun, some WD-40, and some careful prying from behind to get them apart. It was a tough job that I hope we don't have to ever do again.It's even tougher when you know that replacement parts are few, far between, and expensive if you find them.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:58 AM   #13
BEEFKING69
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

OK thx bud and i found a rebuild kit on sleaze bay for 84 bucks.....and axles for 35...but im not sure how long mine is...i guess theirs a couple different sizes depending on year range....i think ours is the 20ish inch pass side.

I want to swap it to a 4 on 4 lug pattern so i think ima see about finding some gokart/utv/atv hubs for the rear and see what i can find for the front cause this 4 on 4 3/4 just aint gonna cut it.

I halve also found a 62 mailster about 30 minutes from and im wandering if all the mailsters came with the 4.71 rear end or if it being that old may have the elusive 4.43 rear end. I found a set of 22-11-8 and 20-somethin-8 tires in the barn and i can stuff the 22s under the rear with just a 2 inch block since it has almost no flex in the rear and i think ill put the 20s up front. I also found an adjustable aluminum light bar that fits on top almost perfect :D now just need some lights to put on it.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #14
BEEFKING69
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Ok a few updates.....Ive been trying to find an analogue tach that will work on 2 cylinder engines but all i could find was these digital tachs that pick up off the plug wires.....so i finally dug around and found the tach that i had in my old truck and hooked it up and set it to 4cyl an hooked the green wire to the output on the side of the distributor/timer and it works flawless and its dead accurate.

I finally had a chance to drive it since i replaced the master cylinder and the front wheel cylinders (i have the back port plugged off cause i haven't messed with the rear since i screwed up the pass side axle end) and i have hardly no pedal travel and it seems like it takes a lot more force to stop than it should.....ill go ahead and admit this is my first time ever working on drum brakes and driving any vehicle with manual brakes....they do work and will even lock up if i stand on the pedal but i feel they shouldn't take so much force and i would like the pedal to travel father. Any tips on adjusting these would be great.

The motor has a mild knock in it :/ so im looking for a set of rod bearings that's not 40+ bucks a pair and also wondering if these motor have forged internals....the reason i ask is Ive found a couple rebuild kits that come with crank/cam/jugs and rods and they saying these rebuild/18hp upgrades come with forged crank and rods so is it safe to assume these are most likely NOS kits and that since mine is already the 22hp it has the forged internals? Any tips on rebuilding these motors?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #15
BEEFKING69
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Anyone know how the 2 speed rear ends work on these???? i wanna know if the 2 speed gear box just bolts on and off the front of the diff or if its built on to it.....i got my eyes on a 60s model and a late 80s or early 90s and both have 2 speed rear ends.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #16
BEEFKING69
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Another small update....the steering has been real loose so i figured out most of the slop was coming from the main pivot point in the center of the axle....so i took it apart and it has a set of needle bearing at the top and bottom of the tube and the top bearing was completely wallowed out and i couldn't get the bearing case out so i took a 3/4 inch socket and cut about a half inch off with the chop saw and the used a bench grinder to grind it down just enough i could hammer it down in the tube and put it back together an took it for a spin and thats gotten rid of 95% of the slop.

I also finally thought to check my speed with my gps and this van will run 42 on flat ground and 50 down hill!!!!!! According to the operators manual it has a 6.5 rearendand its only sposed to run 29 wot at 3600 rpm.....only thing i can think of is it has the elusive 4.7 rearend.

P.S Charley you got those pics for me yet bud????
Old 02-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #17
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

I haven't forgotten my promise, but the weather has been bad whenever I had the time to take the photos, and beautiful when I was too busy to do it or not here. As soon as I can I will take the photos for you and post them here.

I've had my truckster to 52 mph once (going slightly downhill on a long straight run). It was like doing 120 in a car. I won't be doing that again. 30-35 is plenty fast enough. The steering and suspension aren't built for higher speeds.

I can't help with the rear axle questions. I haven't been there yet, but wish I had a 2 speed axle. Have you looked at the exploded pictures in the parts book to see how it's made? There are times when I use my truckster to help with yard maintenance and its necessary to slip the clutch a lot to go slow enough on the lawn. It needs more power for the softer spots and the lower gear ratio would help with that too.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:45 AM   #18
BEEFKING69
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Ok thats cool man and yeah 50 feels fast but im more than comfortable driving it 45+ i just wish it had a 4 speed tranny...infact i think im gonna plunder the local junk yards and see if i can find an old 4 speed and see if i can get it to fit that way i can cruise 30 to 40 and not have to have the motor wide open...but i need to get the motor rebuilt before i get ahead of myself lol.

On the rear end i cant find parts manuals for the 80s models just 92 and above :/ and they look like they have a completely different rear end from what ive seen and they are 5 lug. I could be wrong tho. I still need to work on getting the brakes to not be so stiff feeling and i need to eventually get the rear ones fixed also need to rebuild that front guard/section of frame that's rotted out and get new shocks and springs under the front......i think i may just use a set of atv coilovers for the front.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:36 AM   #19
dewzer
Getting Wild

The parts/service manuals I sent have all the 80's model infro. Engine, Tranz and rear end.
dewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #20
BEEFKING69
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Ok ill look again but i coulda swore all they had was 90s stuff....now i just gotta figure out where i saved them.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts