lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-25-2016, 03:31 PM   #1
83clubcar
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Voltage Reducer

Just curious why everyone is using a voltage reducer to power their accessories. I just used the old volt meter behind the dash until I found a good 12v source (positive to light switch) and a good ground (black wire in main harness) and connected them to a lighted switch. All of that feeds the constant for the radio clock as well as the switched full power for sound. Is this a bad setup or was I just more willing to "try things out"?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4299.jpg (273.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4300.jpg (187.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4301.jpg (188.2 KB, 0 views)
83clubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-25-2016, 04:32 PM   #2
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Voltage Reducer

The answer has to do with basic series battery technology. If any one battery in a series system is drawn down when the other batteries are not then you have a balance issue. The out of balance battery cannot recover fast enough to be in balance with the rest of the "pack" so eventually it will fail and the pack will be in jepordy.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Voltage Reducer

Chances are you have 4/12 volt batteries. If that's the case, you are drawing power off of only one of those batteries for your accessories. That will draw down one of your batteries more than the others and you won't have a balanced pack.
However, if you have the 6/8 volt batteries, then you most likely already have a voltage reducer in your cart somewhere and the voltage reducer is drawing off the pack as a whole and keeping your pack equalized.

I myself just put a 12 volt deep cycle battery in the bagwell of my Precedent and run all of my accessories off of that.
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

That's the old school way to do it, but it gets that 12 volts from just one of the batteries (4 x 12's right?). The problem rises from running that one battery down a bit more than the rest. When you charge them they will all get an even amount of charge, in essence leaving that one battery still slightly depleted compared to the others. Over time it kills that battery. Of course running with that damaged battery lessens the output of the whole stack. Adding the reducer means the 12 volt power is taken evenly from the whole stack, so they then also recharge evenly together. Adds perhaps a couple years of life to a very expensive set of batteries, and gives better performance as well.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #5
83clubcar
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thank you all for the feedback. If I were drawing power from just one battery wouldn't there be an extra set of wires to just one battery? Also, I find it hard to believe that Clubcar would have connected the lights to just one battery knowing that it would be depleted faster than all of the others. What do you guys think?
Old 12-25-2016, 04:51 PM   #6
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

If you are NOT drawing power from just one battery, then your pack should only have one cable on each battery and the pack positive should have a red wire from the charge receptacle, that's it. (I may be incorrect here, but that is all my 04 Precedent has)
If that is all you have, then there is a voltage reducer somewhere, usually in the frame rail from the factory.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:53 PM   #7
83clubcar
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
If you are NOT drawing power from just one battery, then your pack should only have one cable on each battery and the pack positive should have a red wire from the charge receptacle, that's it. (I may be incorrect here, but that is all my 04 Precedent has)
If that is all you have, then there is a voltage reducer somewhere, usually in the frame rail from the factory.
Here is the picture of my battery setup.

I think the little red wire and the little blue wire and the fare ends of the set might go to a reducer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4292.jpg (153.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by 83clubcar; 12-25-2016 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Added comment
Old 12-25-2016, 04:59 PM   #8
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm betting you have a reducer already.
I do see an extra wire near the pack positive....
Old 12-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #9
83clubcar
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
I'm betting you have a reducer already.
I do see an extra wire near the pack positive....
This is my setup. Perhaps the little solenoid looking box in the middle is a reducer? Or maybe it is in the controller. What you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2004precedent.jpg (106.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-25-2016, 09:35 PM   #10
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83clubcar View Post
I think the little red wire and the little blue wire and the fare ends of the set might go to a reducer.
From what I'm seeing the red lead is on the POS post of the forward left battery (under the driver) the blue I'm seeing looks like it's on the POS post of the forward right battery. It would have to be on the NEG post to be running the full pack through those connections. I'm betting the forward right battery is the only one supplying the 12 volt power, terminating the negative side of the circuit on the other end of that pack main ground. I seem to recall something like that on a couple of other earlier Precidents. A simple test will tell that tale. Disconnect the NEG cable from the right side rearward battery and see if you still have 12 volts to your accessories. Of course remember to flip your tow / run switch to tow first.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car