lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2017, 06:15 PM   #1
Hgiles1983
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 07 precedent starts then stops

Hey everyone. New to this forum and looking forward to participating. Have a question in regards to a 2007 precedent I'm buying tomorrow. The owner told me it needs a new controller. He has replaced the speed sensor and it has new batteries.

Here's what has me stumped. The cart will move forward a few feet and then it stops. However, if the wires for the F R switch are swapped, the cart will run, just not at full speed.

Any thoughts on what could be the issue? Thanks!
Hgiles1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 07 precedent starts then stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgiles1983 View Post
Hey everyone. New to this forum and looking forward to participating. Have a question in regards to a 2007 precedent I'm buying tomorrow. The owner told me it needs a new controller. He has replaced the speed sensor and it has new batteries.

Here's what has me stumped. The cart will move forward a few feet and then it stops. However, if the wires for the F R switch are swapped, the cart will run, just not at full speed.

Any thoughts on what could be the issue? Thanks!
That does not seem possible, however, if You are moving the Controller Motor wires for the F1 and F2, then yes, the controller is bad.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #3
Hgiles1983
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That does not seem possible, however, if You are moving the Controller Motor wires for the F1 and F2, then yes, the controller is bad.
Thanks for the info. I am assuming that's what is being swapped so it will run. I'll know more tomorrow after I pick it up.

So if the controller is bad, what would you recommend for a replacement controller? The cart is lifted and will be used at the beach.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

David with RevolutionGolfcars or ScottyB with cartsunlimited will be able to provide You better guidance on that once You find the type and size of tires You have.

The terrain, soft or hard sand, rear seat and number of passengers will also be a factor.

Check the date stamps on the batteries and if they are more than 3 years old, plan to replace them soon.

Edit: just noticed You said new batteries, but check the date stamps anyway as folks tend to develop short memory on battery age.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:22 PM   #5
Hgiles1983
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
David with RevolutionGolfcars or ScottyB with cartsunlimited will be able to provide You better guidance on that once You find the type and size of tires You have.

The terrain, soft or hard sand, rear seat and number of passengers will also be a factor.

Check the date stamps on the batteries and if they are more than 3 years old, plan to replace them soon.

Edit: just noticed You said new batteries, but check the date stamps anyway as folks tend to develop short memory on battery age.

Thank you sir! Appreciate the help. The batteries are stamped 02/16 so looks to be all good on that end. The guy replaced them and recently totaled his truck, so he is in a bind and the cart has to go. $1200 is what I'm picking it up for. Pretty dang good deal for a lifted 07 model with rear flip seat I thought.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That sounds like a pretty good deal.

The big tires and beach driving will require a higher than normal operating current, so You should get a controller with a Fan.

You may want to invest on the XCT48500 controller as it has almost twice the sustained output of the 400amp model and will provide you with more motor upgrade options in the future.

You should also install new cables and solenoid with the new controller.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #7
Hgiles1983
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Okay so I picked the cart up. Here's what it does:

With the F R plugs on the controller hooked correctly, it will go in Reverse, however when put in F it only clicks and won't move.

If you swap those two connectors on the controller, it will go forward when the selector is in reverse, but won't do anything else when put in R.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:08 AM   #8
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Could be the F/R sw has a bad Fwd connection
Volts get to the controller in Rvs only.

Verify its ok before replacing the controller

Previous owner said bad controller, may have had it tested already?
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:18 PM   #9
Hgiles1983
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golferdave View Post
Could be the F/R sw has a bad Fwd connection
Volts get to the controller in Rvs only.

Verify its ok before replacing the controller

Previous owner said bad controller, may have had it tested already?
I unhooked the F R switch and used a jumper cable. Reverse works, forward didn't. All it does is click the solenoid and it tried to move but won't.

In an off series of events, I was messing around with it earlier and unhooked everything. After it was hooked back up, F worked for about 30 seconds and then quit again. Reverse works just fine and the beeper also works.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If You jumped the White and the Red wires at the FNR switch, that eliminated the switch as a possible problem on the Forward position.

It does appear to be a failure of the Controller Field driver.

Just curious, can You turn the key OFF and push the cart by hand.

You should hear the buzzer sound, but does the cart offers "resistance" both when pushing forward and backwards?

Here is You wiring diagram in case you have not found one yet:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac..._iq_wiring.jpg
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car