lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
jimg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Front tire rubbing

I moved this thread from "Front wheel Toe in?" since the topic has diverged.

I've recently acquired a '97 DS, lifted about 6", with Carlisle 22x11-10 All Trail tires on aluminum wheels. When turning sharply, the outer edge of the tires makes contact with the tubular frame running between the main chassis and the quarter panel. If there are different frames, mine is all aluminum. It does it on either side, before the turning "stop" hits. The rims appear to be 8" wide.

Not sure how to identify the lift kit make, nor to tell if it was installed correctly, but there aren't any "extra" holes etc. that would make it easy to increase the wheelbase.

My tread width is right at 50", so maybe the hub is a little thicker than it should be? Not sure if a narrower hub is possible, given the need to support a bearing.

I looks like trimming the outer knobs of the tires would fix the problem...
jimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Front tire rubbing

You have stock frame, now lets figure out what lift you have? Can you send picture of frontend so forum can compare to stock? If not look on golfcartpartsdirect.com and check for your year cart front suspension to compare.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
joe100
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hi! Depending on who's lift and who installed ? I'd check the mount plate where the spring is attached maybe holes are offset and installed backwards I'm know expert but I've worked on a few. Good luck Joe
joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
jimg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Here's some photos of the setup.

For what it's worth, this cart was located near Portland OR and has a decal for "BTL Autosports Off-Road" on the sides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0566.JPG (119.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0567.JPG (119.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0564.jpg (56.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0565.JPG (92.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0563.JPG (94.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 01-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I dont know brand of lift for sure but its a spindle lift. There is also already is a EXTRA BLOCK ADDED between spring leaf and spring plate mount, that looks to be about 1"-1/2" thick shown in Picture 4 and 5? From picture 4 I can see where tire is rubbing.
I dont know for sure BUT IT looks like IF you add one of the extension plates that moves the wheels forward another 1"- 2" might solve your problem? Check with forum sponsors or Jakes.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
jimg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I see if I can find "extension plates". Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
jimg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I was looking closer and there are several issues/concerns:

1) If the front wishbones move forward more than 1/2", the shocks start rubbing on the body, so the extension plate would involve body surgery or moving the shocks.

2) The spindles have a slight tilt to the rear (from top to bottom). Is this correct? Maybe I could straighten them or tilt them forward by shimming the brackets that secure the inboard ends of the wishbones. I might have to move the leaf spring forward a bit to match.

3) It looks like I can increase the spacer thickness on the leaf spring support. I'll probably try this first, since it requires no other modifications, although I'd rather not increase the lift even more...
Old 01-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

The shock position is changed with adapter kit ( that switches position of shock on upper control arm ) included with plate unit that works out very well. I have it on my own cart and with custom body as I needed 2 spacers between hubs and wheels to clear suspension ( total of 3 5/8" )
Old 01-25-2011, 01:04 AM   #9
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

OLd Mec...what are extension plates? Where can they be found?

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I got mine mostly from Jakes, but when I looked at their new abreviated on line catalog I didnt see them? I found one of the old installation sheets and it shows Jakes 2" Extension Plate Part Number 7260. I have used some other similar plates but cant right off hand remember who? Hope this helps as they really are a true 2" forward extension.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car