lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
TuneUp
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Question charger not running

Batteries had life and maybe charger drained it
98 club car accu power charger
plugged charger in started to hum
checked later batteries completely dead charger not humming
next day hooked up again started working
checked it later not working and batteries dead
after first time i moved the cart it had a little power now none
TuneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: charger not running

#! "battries had life" did you test voltage or specific gravity before plugging charger in and what were those readings? If voltage is too low OBC will not turn charger on until voltage is above 36-38 volts.
( #1 A ) Let me get this straight, first what voltage cart do you have? 36 or 48 volts?
#2 chargers do not drain batterys they only charge batterys unless some thing is wrong like wiring, batterys, connections, etc.
#3 "Charger started to hum" did meter raise and show ( HOW MUCH ) was amerage amount or just sound?
#4 "checked later batterys dead charger not humming" Did you do any voltage or specific gravity tests? What were your readings?
#5 "next day hooked up again and started working" did charger turn on and did you see amp reading ( HOW MUCH ) on charger meter?
#6 "checked it later not working and batterys dead" again do you mean that charger turned off by itself? And if so did you test battery voltage or specific gravity afterward?
#7 "after first time I moved the cart it had a little power now none" Do you mean that after charging for first time that cart ran a little and since that time you have NO POWER OR SOUNDS? Do you hear a click from solenoid each time pedal is pushed down with key on and F&R control in forward? Have you checked batterys for proper level of distilled water, have you remove each cable at battery contacts and cleaned shiney and tight?
IS THIS A NEW CART TO YOU AND HAVE YOU EVER HAD AN ELECTRIC CART BEFORE AND WAS IT RUNNING CORRECTLY BEFORE THIS PROBLEM STARTED?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
TuneUp
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

new to me
water levels were very low
i filled them
charger will not turn on
my uncle used a meter and said the charger was bad
im not even sure want volt it is it has 6 trojan batteries
what next try a car charger
thank you
Old 03-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
dukgetr
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Count your water fill caps and multiply by 2 to determine voltage. More simply if your batteries have 3 holes per battery it is a 6v (36v pack), 4 holes = 8v(48v pack). If your battery plates were exposed to air and were not submereged while charged they are likely toast Keep feeding info and the gurus here will get you lined out
dukgetr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
#! "battries had life" did you test voltage or specific gravity before plugging charger in and what were those readings? If voltage is too low OBC will not turn charger on until voltage is above 36-38 volts.( #1 A ) Let me get this straight, first what voltage cart do you have? 36 or 48 volts?
#2 chargers do not drain batterys they only charge batterys unless some thing is wrong like wiring, batterys, connections, etc.
#3 "Charger started to hum" did meter raise and show ( HOW MUCH ) was amerage amount or just sound?
#4 "checked later batterys dead charger not humming" Did you do any voltage or specific gravity tests? What were your readings?
#5 "next day hooked up again and started working" did charger turn on and did you see amp reading ( HOW MUCH ) on charger meter?
#6 "checked it later not working and batterys dead" again do you mean that charger turned off by itself? And if so did you test battery voltage or specific gravity afterward?
#7 "after first time I moved the cart it had a little power now none" Do you mean that after charging for first time that cart ran a little and since that time you have NO POWER OR SOUNDS? Do you hear a click from solenoid each time pedal is pushed down with key on and F&R control in forward? Have you checked batterys for proper level of distilled water, have you remove each cable at battery contacts and cleaned shiney and tight?
IS THIS A NEW CART TO YOU AND HAVE YOU EVER HAD AN ELECTRIC CART BEFORE AND WAS IT RUNNING CORRECTLY BEFORE THIS PROBLEM STARTED?
What he said
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

By adding water ( I HOPE DISTILLED WATER NOT TAP WATER ) batterys dont come back to life all on their own. They need to be charged. Hopfully the plates inside batterys have not been ruined by being exposed to air? AS I SAID BEFORE, If voltage is too low ( below 35-38 volts on 48 volt pack ) charger wont automatically come on.
There is a way ( depending on which voltage your batterys are 6-8-12 ) ( CHECK BATTERY VOLTAGE LIKE DUKGETR SAID ) that you can bring them up enough with a auto type charger so that your golf cart charger can turn on? It requires careful watching and possibly several days of time and can be dangerous because of your previous low fluid levels? Really better left to some one well versed in golf cart batterys?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Or if U have a PowerDrive charger U can jump the relay to bypass OBC ,
But U have to monitor Batteries very close and do in steps , a few hours at a time, because charger will no longer turn off automatically .
And after pack is up to 38 or greater , remove jumper and go back to normal operation It's U'r call.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
TuneUp
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

got charger on with the help of car charger
reads 15 on battery charger meter
what should i do next
my charger is an AcuuPower my cart 98
dont know if it is original charger or not
does it turn off on it own or not
can it be plugged in for a prolonged period
should i use battery conditioner
thank you guys again we are grateful
Old 03-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

go here http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-charger.html
download the PDF file it will tell U everything U need to know !

Despite the link name it also has AccuPower charger
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car