lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
langstonjones
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 2002 DS V-Glide/Resistor problems

2002 36v DS V-Glide/Resistor with 1 solenoid

I was in the process of upgrading all cables to 4ga and cleaned the battery compartment with baking soda and very low flowing water. I did get the solenoid wet. I replaced all terminal ends on the small solenoid post wires. Get it all back together and reverse buzzer goes off in Fwd and Rev. I haven't troubleshot it any yet, just wondering if anybody knew off top of their head if I toasted solenoid or mis-wired some of the small post wires. Thanks
langstonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 2002 DS V-Glide/Resistor problems

did you disconnect main power before working on it? i would start by double checking all the work it really dosn,t take much to make a mistake on them when dealing with wiring......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
langstonjones
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
did you disconnect main power before working on it? i would start by double checking all the work it really dosn,t take much to make a mistake on them when dealing with wiring......................
I did disconnect everything. Batteries were actually sitting on the floor of my shop when I was cleaning. I definitely need to double check everything coming from the FnR switch. I jump'd the two big post and I do have movement forward and reverse. I can't really tell a whole lot about the cables on FnR switch from wiring diagram. Maybe I can locate a picture somewhere.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

did soleniod have diode and resistor on it?......................
Old 04-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
langstonjones
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
did soleniod have diode and resistor on it?......................

Solenoid did have diode but no resistor. It did have a snubber across 2 fat post and it did get put back on. I ohm'd diode and it conducted both ways so I didn't put it back on. I plan on getting one to replace it. Do I need to be looking for a resistor as well? PM me with details if you have these.

I had FNR to batt + & FNR 1/2 throttle wires reverse on switch. Corrected this and replaced solenoid (just because I like new shiny stuff) and cart runs fine.

thanks for heads up
Old 04-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

its really easy to miswire....happens all the time.....if it didn,t have a resistor i wouldn,t worry just make sure you put diode on right.....the silver band towards positive..............................
Old 04-15-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you got your F&R micro for reverse ( furthest one from F&R housing ) alarm wet could cause the problem? Once it dries out should be OK. If not let forum know.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
langstonjones
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
If you got your F&R micro for reverse ( furthest one from F&R housing ) alarm wet could cause the problem? Once it dries out should be OK. If not let forum know.
I'm not real sure what it was. I had the big cable going to 1st batt positive and the big cable going to batt 4 positive reversed on FNR, but I think this would just mean I would go slow in forward and fast in reverse. I also replaced solenoid because the old one was pretty tattered looking. I still question the diode across 2 small posts. Since the diode that came off was conducting both ways, it was useless and I was wondering how important it is on a resistor cart. Here are some before and afters of the battery bay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batterybay2.jpg (102.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg batterybay4.jpg (63.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00169-20110415-0832.jpg (91.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00171-20110415-0833.jpg (81.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00170-20110415-0832.jpg (83.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your center battery pack tap to F&R control gives you 18 volts in reverse and 36 volts in forward. Many owners eliminate center tap and bridge across the two lower posts on F&R.
For the diode I will quote loosely from Alltrax controller company literature.
"When solenoid closes it allows voltage to flow in a coil causing a magnetic field to form making internal contacts close. As long as power is supplied flow contiues, but when power is turned off the magnetic field collapses causing what is called "FLY BACK VOLTAGE" up to 150 volts damaging solenoid coils".
A pre-charged resistor that you didnt mention is also for solenoid preservation as it "minimizes the voltage across the contacts to reduce arcing and pitting as they close and open"
We dont hear of diodes nor pre charge resistors being used on resistor carts but they really should be with the shortened life they recieve?
Both DIODE and SOLENOID are dependant on voltage and solenoid so must match to the system.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
langstonjones
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
Your center battery pack tap to F&R control gives you 18 volts in reverse and 36 volts in forward. Many owners eliminate center tap and bridge across the two lower posts on F&R.
For the diode I will quote loosely from Alltrax controller company literature.
"When solenoid closes it allows voltage to flow in a coil causing a magnetic field to form making internal contacts close. As long as power is supplied flow contiues, but when power is turned off the magnetic field collapses causing what is called "FLY BACK VOLTAGE" up to 150 volts damaging solenoid coils".
A pre-charged resistor that you didnt mention is also for solenoid preservation as it "minimizes the voltage across the contacts to reduce arcing and pitting as they close and open"
We dont hear of diodes nor pre charge resistors being used on resistor carts but they really should be with the shortened life they recieve?
Both DIODE and SOLENOID are dependant on voltage and solenoid so must match to the system.
thanks for the info OLD MEC. This new solenoid was like $18 so if it goes out I will just buy the diode then.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car